bsc mom common core rant

10,008 Views | 90 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by 80s Guy
Post removed:
by user
Pollo Libre
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I can't read that.
yeahtoast
AG
Ragoo
AG
There are dumb people everywhere but common core won't fix the problem.

hth
Danno93
punctuation, it also seems to have gone away.
Pollo Libre
I have 5 kids. They are in 10th, 8th, 6th, 5th, and 1st. Four out of five struggling with ADHD. I can't help them with their homework because I don't understand it myself. They come home, eat a snack, spend hours studying, and still get the answers wrong. They are putting forth the time and effort and still not doing well.

The common core is the same but it might be better for people in honors classes or enrichment programs. I'm not looking forward to my youngest starting school next year because it was hard enough last year. Some teachers care and go the extra mile but most don't care but are quick to blame me for not helping. I tell them I tried and found a way for her to get the right answer but since she can't show how she got it, it's marked incorrect.

THERE!!! Now maybe others can read it.
Geralt of Rivia
S
I'm trying to figure out what a 10.5 grader is
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
fake
Beer Baron
AG
Can someone please explain the following to me, preferably in very short sentences?

1. What is the common core?
2. Are the pro- or anti- common core people the crazies?
3. Why do people love/hate it?
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
BigRobSA
quote:
Can someone please explain the following to me, preferably in very short sentences?

1. What is the common core? It's an attempt to create an even stupider methodology to teaching the youth of today, when going "back to basics" would be the best way to do things.
2. Are the pro- or anti- common core people the crazies? There are crazies on both sides. Pro CC folks are crazy for thinking the government can fix the problems they created in the first place. Also crazy for thinking there's some fancy, magical way of teaching a kid how to add numbers or subtract them. Some of the anti-CC folks are super-crazy in thinking it's some sort of conspiracy instead of the truth...just the sheer incompetence of lots of wanna-be do-gooders in administrative roles that wouldn't be able to teach their way out of a wet paper bag.

3. Why do people love/hate it? Love: Because it's "new" and "innovative", even if it has sh/ttastic results.

Hate: It's "new" and "innovative" with sh/ttastic results.

Post removed:
by user
Tanya 93
quote:
Common core is a set of federal standards for schooling
Both sides are crazy
There are valid reasons on both sides that most people ignore since ranting is more fun
The federal government has nothing to do with setting common core standards.
Ragoo
AG
in my limited understanding the concept is that there is a very specific regimented method of achieving the correct answer. Any deviation from the prescribed method is wrong. We should be teaching our children how to problem solve not giving them a road map to solve every problem they face. creativity and ingenuity is lost.
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
quote:
it's not fake, sadly

it IS from Louisiana
no, i'm not saying you made it up, i'm saying someone else did and you fell for it
Post removed:
by user
Pollo Libre
No one cares I made it easier to read?
FIDO*98*
AG
lol @ parents who's kids are too stupid to understand common core

lol @ kids who's parents are too stupid to understand common core

I don't care for the methodology, however, it isn't difficult to grasp.
WC87
AG
COMMON CORE, BIOTCH
WC87
AG
and wtf 10.5 grader lol sounds like he rides the short bus
boboguitar
AG
quote:
quote:

1. What is the common core? It's an attempt to create an even stupider methodology to teaching the youth of today, when going "back to basics" would be the best way to do things.
2. Are the pro- or anti- common core people the crazies? There are crazies on both sides. Pro CC folks are crazy for thinking the government can fix the problems they created in the first place. Also crazy for thinking there's some fancy, magical way of teaching a kid how to add numbers or subtract them. Some of the anti-CC folks are super-crazy in thinking it's some sort of conspiracy instead of the truth...just the sheer incompetence of lots of wanna-be do-gooders in administrative roles that wouldn't be able to teach their way out of a wet paper bag.

3. Why do people love/hate it? Love: Because it's "new" and "innovative", even if it has sh/ttastic results.

Common core speaks nothing for methodology. All it says is you must know at least A, B, and C. That is all of common core. There is nothing about how A, B, and C should be taught, just that each student must know at least A, B, and C. The teacher/district are welcome to expand on that.
Post removed:
by user
BigRobSA
quote:
quote:
quote:

Common core speaks nothing for methodology. All it says is you must know at least A, B, and C. That is all of common core. There is nothing about how A, B, and C should be taught, just that each student must know at least A, B, and C. The teacher/district are welcome to expand on that.
I was just speaking to how I've seen it implemented in Iowa and Texas, between friends' kids, my own nieces and nephews, and my "surrogate" daughter, so to speak.

Their "new" math techniques are stupid, and do more to confuse than educate.

Sorry for conflating the CC idiocy with the methodology that TX/IA teachers are using to accommodate its principles.
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
Pollo Libre
quote:
quote:
No one cares I made it easier to read?

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawww! That's the sweetest gif EVER!!
Tanya 93
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I was just speaking to how I've seen it implemented in Iowa and Texas, between friends' kids, my own nieces and nephews, and my "surrogate" daughter, so to speak.

Sorry for conflating the CC idiocy with the methodology that TX/IA teachers are using to accommodate its principles.
Common Core hasn't been adopted by the state of Texas and it is not allowed to be used for standards in any public school in texas.
Tanya 93
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Sorry for conflating the CC idiocy with the methodology that TX/IA teachers are using to accommodate its princip

austinAG90
AG
That's just hot!
Kate Beckett
AG
I saw a video about "common core" math and how they want to teach it. I got confused and I would say I am pretty good at math.
B-1 83
AG
quote:

it breaks a mothers heart when she see her children smuggling

Yeah, I know. When you see your kid smuggling, you have to wonder where you went wrong. If you can see them smuggling, surely the law can see it. You just have to set a better example and teach them to smuggle better.
bmc13
AG
quote:
I'm trying to figure out what a 10.5 grader is

I think it means it's their second try at it
Holly Golightly
AG
quote:
That's just hot!

You're hot
Claude!
quote:
I have 5 kids. They are in 10th, 8th, 6th, 5th, and 1st. Four out of five struggling with ADHD. I can't help them with their homework because I don't understand it myself. They come home, eat a snack, spend hours studying, and still get the answers wrong. They are putting forth the time and effort and still not doing well.

The common core is the same but it might be better for people in honors classes or enrichment programs. I'm not looking forward to my youngest starting school next year because it was hard enough last year. Some teachers care and go the extra mile but most don't care but are quick to blame me for not helping. I tell them I tried and found a way for her to get the right answer but since she can't show how she got it, it's marked incorrect.

Why does this remind me of "Oh, stewardess! I speak Jive."
Claude!
quote:
quote:

Why does this remind me of "Oh, stewardess! I speak Jive"?
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.