Company Email...

5,985 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by GMM
Corps_Ag12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
After 5 pm, work phone goes on silent. If it's not my weekend to work, it's silent.

congrats on having a job that isn't that important

If there's a real emergency, the powers that be have my personal number.

Works well enough for me.
agracer
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
After 5 pm, work phone goes on silent. If it's not my weekend to work, it's silent.

If there's a real emergency, the powers that be have my personal number.

Works well enough for me.
that or people that put their self worth into what job they have or how important they think it is....feel sorry for them.
Talon2DSO
AG
I respond immediately to clients and partners. They both pay for my availability so they get it.
TecRecAg
AG
I have my work email on my personal phone. Very rarely will I ever respond after hours. I get the notification, check it, and act accordingly... which usually means I take care of it when I get to the office.

Happy medium between most of you it seems.
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace

Find a job where you're not required to read after hours email, or advance far enough up the chain that you don't have to. Nothing gets done in your own timezone after cocktail hour. If you are on the hook for India, Japan, or Switzerland, plan accordingly.
coupland boy
AG
quote:
quote:

Not sure if serious but if we all did this we'd be better off. I suppose the attitude of "I have to get this because I'm important" is certainly a contributing factor to the trend of having your mind on work and diluting your personal time.
Ags-R-Better
No matter what line of business you are in, nothing "important" is only sent via email; If it's truly that important I better get a phone call to discuss immediately before or after, not 4 hours later telling me how important your email was. People's sense of what is important can vary greatly and most are unable to communicate their point clearly in emails to convey why their crisis is important. Simply stating that this is important does not count.

If that's not the case for you, then your time isn't that valuable and you probably have a ****ty job. HTH.
Caliber
AG
LOL at all the sheep that have made themselves available 24/7 for free. You're really not that important and if you are, you'd actually be paid for it.

I have my work email on my phone, but I use the scheduler and only receive emails during normal work hours. The only reason I even go that far is that its a useful tool to look stuff up while away from my desk, but I rarely send an email from my phone.

You people really need to learn to set boundaries between personal life and work. Most of you aren't being paid extra to be available outside of standard hours, so why do you work for free?

If you need a reply faster than a day or two, call me or come find me. Being tied to your email all day can actually make you less efficient at your actual job.
coupland boy
AG
I'm not laughing at the sheep because they're a problem for us all. If you work with someone that doesn't have the personal commitments you do and is willing to jump on work stuff any time, any day (weekends) it eventually affects us all. Expectations of employers change.
reb,
AG
quote:
I'm not laughing at the sheep because they're a problem for us all. If you work with someone that doesn't have the personal commitments you do and is willing to jump on work stuff any time, any day (weekends) it eventually affects us all. Expectations of employers change.

aww sorry, do you expect people without your personal commitments to slow down and wait on YOU for no other reason that you don't have the time to work as hard as long as they do? That's too bad that you aren't reliable enough to get things done when duty calls but you are stuck hauling your kids off to piano lessons and soccer games.
Talon2DSO
AG
Yeah....sorry most of you are happy with a 9-5 and highly commoditized positions and incredibly expendable. For those very few of us that are highly entrepreneurial, we don't have the perceived luxury of a 9-5. Our world of pulling together 7 figure deals, clients and partners want to know they can count on you. This means being available immediately when contacted. Clients rarely like to wait for 16 hours or more before you get back to them. Chances are good if they can't reach you, guaranteed they will reach out to your competitors until they get what they need.
arson keg
quote:
LOL at all the sheep that have made themselves available 24/7 for free. You're really not that important and if you are, you'd actually be paid for it.

oh, we're paid for it. ownership has its responsibilities.
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
Oh noes! I don't look at email! How the eff did we ever survive before the days of our precious iPhongs?
DE4D
AG
quote:
Out of principal I don't use my personal phone for work stuff. When my boss needs me he sends me a page and I find the closest pay phone

Being a BagMan
coupland boy
AG
quote:
quote:

aww sorry, do you expect people without your personal commitments to slow down and wait on YOU for no other reason that you don't have the time to work as hard as long as they do? That's too bad that you aren't reliable enough to get things done when duty calls but you are stuck hauling your kids off to piano lessons and soccer games.
coupland boy
AG
Kids - little *******s get in the way of what's important don't they?
cr06gis
AG
I don't mind responding to emails when I'm not technically at work. Ofcourse, I continue to bill. No such thing as free work.
Caliber
AG
quote:
quote:

Sorry you haven't been laid in a long time bro...
GMM
Hey everybody let me tell you how important I am
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.