Company Email...

5,979 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by GMM
riverrataggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
When did it become expected that company email should be returned within a couple of hours? If it's that urgent pick up the phone or text. I feel in the past 5 or so years this expectation has set in.
Beer Baron
AG
November 4, 2012.
Drawkcab
I'll get back to this when I have time to give a more detailed response. Just wanted you to know I'd seen it.

Thanks.
Claude!
quote:
November 4, 2012.

It was the fifth, actually. The fourth was a Sunday.
new straw
I'm a minion at my company, and even on my days off, I'm expected to check it daily. I actually check it more than my personal email. If I'm at work, probably about 10 minutes or so.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Checking work email after 5pm on Friday is for chumps.
AliasMan02
AG
I work with people that use their work email as personal email. they get ebills and bank statements and personal correspondence sent there. Weird.
combat wombat™
AG
I have separate work & personal e-mails. Generally speaking, I don't get personal e-mail at work e-mail address.

If you want me to check e-mail on my day off then it's not really my day off... so you'll need to pay me for that day.
IrishTxAggie
AG
I have my personal and work e-mail linked into my phone. Sometimes when I'm sending e-mails from my phone, I'll forget which profile I'm under. My boss called me and asked who in the hell longdong at yahoo dot com was... I've also sent THE D-pics from work e-mail before by accident...
aglaohfour
AG
quote:
Checking work email after 5pm on Friday is for chumps.
Or, you know, people who receive important emails.
I Play With Guns
S
Work issued cell so pretty much immediately.

And if I don't immediately respond, I get a text on my work cell to check my work email.

So annoying!
NJ75AGfdt
Charge'em overtime.
"It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man," Psalm 118:8.

"In God we trust...all others pay cash!"
Holly Golightly
AG
I have my personal and work email sent to my phone.

My work email stays open on my desktop all day long.

And I HATE seeing an unread message on my phone. So I check emails all day and all night and all weekend

riverrataggie
AG
Holly, I am the same way but my role drastically changed two years ago and I was receiving about 1000 emails a week at all times due to the global nature of it. I had to set rules that if I was cc'd or my name was in the body of the email it went to a separate folder and auto deleted in a month if I didn't get to it to ensure I was getting to the important ones. This auto delete folder also wouldn't show on my phone either.

Took some getting used to but definitely made me more efficient in the long run.
stdeb11
AG
Took my work email off my phone a few weeks back. If they want me to answer work emails on my personal phone they can pay for my phone. If it's super urgent, they've got my cell...it's been great so far
EFE
AG
Accountability Brah.

I seriously hate this trend. We received notice that all emails must be responded to/marked read within 48hrs, last week. I probably recieve 100 emails a day that are lazily sent to Earl'sDistrict/all or EarlsCampus/all of which about three actually pertain to me. We've apparently adopted the Disney Method of customer service. We're an effing school district not gorram amusement park.
ToddyHill
AG
Unless you're on a flight or asleep, there's no excuse for not replying to an email within two hours...including weekends.
ajn142
AG
Mines open constantly, and I'm expected to respond within 20 minutes any time I'm on the clock.
Ulrich
I got 1,200 emails last week. The first phone calls start coming in at 6 am, the last one around 1 am. I spend anywhere from 8 to 16 hours a day at work during the week and 3-4 hours on the weekend depending on what is going on.

Not always fun having three jobs including production-related responsibilities at a facility that runs around the clock.
riverrataggie
AG
Toddy we apparently get different type of emails.
04.arch.ag
AG
You can tell the companies that have the super restrictive policies about responding to emails by their response time. I have a few consultants who just respond "received" 2 minutes after I send a request or question. No **** you received it that's what read receipts are for. If you are goingto take the time to respond how about answerin what is asked of you Then I just send another BS email or 20 to be a d!ck.

Within the day is more than acceptable or mst email correspondence. If it is that important then pick up the phone and call.
GigEmBevo
quote:

And I HATE seeing an unread message on my phone. So I check emails all day and all night and all weekend

I am the same. But I got tired of reading poopy emails in my evenings/days off so I deactivated receiving work emails on my personal phone. I like it.
drumboy
AG
quote:
Took my work email off my phone a few weeks back. If they want me to answer work emails on my personal phone they can pay for my phone. If it's super urgent, they've got my cell...it's been great so far

That's where I'm at now. I started a new job 6 weeks ago and was told that developers don't get phones so I haven't bothered adding my work email account to my personal phone even though the other guys on my team have.

If it comes up with my boss I probably will add it but I feel that if I'm paying for the data plan and using it for work then I should be reimbursed. Oh well, I guess I'm using the company wifi right now.
arson keg
I got an email 16 months after the fact for a technical issue I had with my LinkedIn account

I'd say that's pushing it
Corps_Ag12
AG
I have two phones, one for work and one is my personal.

After 5 pm, work phone goes on silent. If it's not my weekend to work, it's silent.

It's a lot better than getting a stipend IMO.
arson keg
quote:
After 5 pm, work phone goes on silent. If it's not my weekend to work, it's silent.

congrats on having a job that isn't that important
reb,
AG
Those of you that bring your own device, has your company secured it with the ability to remotely factory reset it?

"Every Three Minutes, a Worker's Personal Device Is Remotely Wiped" http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/BL-ATWORKB-2024
Post removed:
by user
combat wombat™
AG
Or setting boundaries. You people who make yourselves feel important by being available 27/7 are chumps.
ChiveOn
AG
quote:
Work issued cell so pretty much immediately.

And if I don't immediately respond, I get a text on my work cell to check my work email.

So annoying!

Helicopter bosses
UndergroundAg
I worked with a law firm, and our expected mode of communication was through e-mail. Need the legal assistant to make corrections? E mail her about it, Need her to request documents? E mail her. In turn these beetches would e mail back to acknowledge recipt of the e mail, then E mail you to update you on where they're at with the requested task and finally E mail you to tell you the task has been completed.....I don't need all these fvken E mails, when I should be able to pick up my phone tell you to do it and you drop it off when It's done. Ay dios mio!!
SUPAGGIE
Wow. Y'all have sheety jobs. I work as an engineer, make $100k+ per year, and I only average about 20 emails a day. I respond to those emails as I see fit.

And no way in hell do I put my work email on my personal phone.
Kate Beckett
AG
We get e-mails, but aren't expected to reply immediately. If you are off, you don't have to check your e-mail at all. I do sometimes when I get bored just to keep up with stuff, but other than that it is smooth sailing.
Elephant
AG
Out of principal I don't use my personal phone for work stuff. When my boss needs me he sends me a page and I find the closest pay phone
agracer
AG
quote:
I work with people that use their work email as personal email. they get ebills and bank statements and personal correspondence sent there. Weird.
The lone company IT guy that will be stealing their identity soon appreciates those employee's.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.