National Parks on your bucket list

1,901 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Ronnie Gardocki
Post removed:
by user
tx1c
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Definitely the ones in Alaska, and Glacier.

You seem to have left off the Texas treasure that is Big Bend.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
From the list of 59, I have been to 37 of them. Growing up every summer that is what we did for vacation, go to a national park and hike around.

The ones I want to go to are Yosemite, and Hawaii Volcanoes, just like you.
The other different one is probably Joshua tree.
jetch17
AG
Volcanoes is the sh*t
bmc13
AG
allllllls of them. been to a few. many to go.
Holly Golightly
AG
Acadia is my favorite!!

But I also love virgin island national park.
I did a tour last year that included Grand Canyon, Verde, arches, Zion, and Bryce Canyon. There was another one along there that we went through but I can't remember the name of it.

I also want to do Yosemite and Yellowstone
Wildmen06
AG
Yosemite, glaciar, I've also heard good things about Acadia
hunterntexas
AG
I almost died in Big Thicket.
I got to shoot a deer in Sam Houston.

Do national forests count?
Holly Golightly
AG
quote:
Yosemite, glaciar, I've also heard good things about Acadia

I've been to Acadia easily 15 times. I love it!
skins74
AG
Yosemite is the most beautiful place these eyes have seen.
cr06gis
AG
quote:

Same.

Would love to check out glacier
ursusguy
AG
Big Thicket is technically under the NPS.

Been to Hot Springs, Bandelier, Chaco Canyon, Olympia, Rainier, Yellowstone, Glacier, Guadalupe, Everglades, Glacier Bay, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Joshua Tree, Rocky Mountain, Grand Teton, and Redwoods

Glacier is by far my favorite. I'm trying to plan a grizzly watching trip at the moment. Rainier is a close second.

I want to see Dry Tortugas, North Cascades, Katmai and Acadia.

If I had a bucket list, it would be Katmai without a doubt. Kobuk Valley also has my interest.
62strat
AG
I've got sand dunes on my list. Only about a 4 hour drive I think.
Then Yellowstone, about a 6-7 hour drive.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
I'm not limiting my list to the US.

I'd like to see Yosemite, Yellowstone, Glacier, Okavango, Victoria Falls, Kruger, Halgurd-Sakran National Park - Kurdistan, Uluu-Kata Tjua National Park, Namib-Naukluft National Park,

There are tons of others, these are the few I can think of at the moment.
FAST FRED
AG
I've been to all the NPs in the first 48 states.

The first one I went to was Platt NP near Duncan, OK.

It's not even a NP anymore.

Never been to Alaska or Hawaii.

IMHO, Yosemite, Yellowstone, Acadia (consider taking a ferry to see the tidal bore in the Bay of Fundy and coming back through Canada along the St. Lawrence River), Grand Canyon (see both rims and take the raft trip), Carlsbad Caverns (for the best effect walk down through the natural entrance), Big Bend (hike or horseback to The Window and raft through Santa Elena Canyon), Glacier, Grand Teton, Rocky Mountain (drive the Trail Ridge Road), Zion, Arches, and Great Smoky Mountains are the NPs to not miss in your lifetime.

Add in Olympic, because you get tall evergreen trees, seacoast, fern forests and you might see a Bigfoot.

Sequoia, King's Canyon, Mammoth Cave, Shenandoah, Crater Lake, Petrified Forest and Death Valley are all cool, but are surpassed by other similar, but more spectacular, NPs, IMO.

And you can visit them all on your way to other destinations.

Everglades NP is unique and interesting, especially if you include an air boat ride or a trip to Key West.

Other than NPs, very worthwhile scenic/historic stops are Walnut Canyon near Flagstaff, Meteor Crater, Mesa Verde, the Durango-Silverton Railroad, Harper's Ferry, Devil's Tower, Mount Rushmore, the Wright Brothers' launch site at Kill Devil Hill (nearby are The Lost Colony or drive/ferry to Cape Hatteras and the Outer Banks), Monticello and Jamestown/Yorktown/Williamsburg.

Niagara Falls/Gorge, the confluence of the Mississippi River with the Ohio near Cairo, IL and California's Pacific Coast Highway with Santa Barbara, Morro Rock, Hearst Castle, Big Sur and Monterrey Bay are all worthwhile sights you should see.

I enjoy touring Revolutionary and Civil War sites; Gettysburg is especially great if you are a well-informed history buff.

Spend a well-planned week in each of Washington D. C., NYC, Chicago, LA, San Francisco and New Orleans to really see the sights and experience those cities.

Las Vegas is completely unlike nature, in fact it's very unnatural, but it's really cool.

I've been to all these places.

Lucky me!!!!!!

Happy traveling.

Gig 'em, FAST FRED, '65.

Before the world wide web, village idiots usually stayed in their own village.
AliasMan02
AG
I've never been to the grand canyon. I'm not really a nature guy, a real city boy. To me it would be just a big hole in the ground. /millenial behind me on flight from Flagstaff to Phoenix
Pollo Libre
I feel this is as good a place as any to mention I'm visiting Zion National Park this weekend.

Yosemite was breath taking. I wish we had stayed there longer. And to think, it was just a last minute addition to visit when we traveled to California a few years back!
Maximus_Meridius
AG
Yosemite, Hawaii, Denali, Acadia

While it's not in the US, probably my favorite ever is Banff NP in Alberta.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
We've been to Yosemite and will be in Zion starting Sunday. I'd love to hit all of the NPs at least once. The parks west of the Mississippi are a lot more interesting to me than the ones east. I could return to Yosemite every year, even if just for a few days. The parks in western Canada interest me as well.
WindowLickerAg
AG
quote:
We've been to Yosemite and will be in Zion starting Sunday. I'd love to hit all of the NPs at least once. The parks west of the Mississippi are a lot more interesting to me than the ones east. I could return to Yosemite every year, even if just for a few days. The parks in western Canada interest me as well.

I liked Zion but it was so crowded when we went. If you have time, I HIGHLY recommend making the drive to Kodachrome State Park not too far from Zion. We were the only people in the park and the views/scenery were absolutely amazing. One of the most gorgeous places I've ever seen. It's also really close to Red Rock National Park and Bryce Canyon National Park.

COOL LASER FALCON
I want to be Fast Fred so badly.
Claude!
By the rivers of Babylon, there we sat down, yea, we wept, when we remembered Zion.
LuckyDuck
AG
I love national parks! I've been to Big Bend, Guadalupe, Carlsbad Caverns, Rocky Mountain, Great Sand Dunes, Mesa Verde, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Crater Lake, Arches, Bryce Canyon, and Badlands. And a host of national forests and monuments. A few weeks ago we added Great Smokey Mountains and Congaree.

We hope to eventually visit every NP, but our top 5 "bucket list" parks are probably Joshua Tree, Dry Tortugas, Yosemite, American Samoa, and Glacier.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
I'm glad someone mentioned Badlands. It's #2 on my list behind Glacier. If I get to Badlands, I'd like to see Theodore Roosevelt NP too.
IIIHorn
Touring Yellowstone via snowmobile is spectacular.
eeinhouston
If you are willing to expand your area just across the Canadian border, then Banff/Lake Louise is a must.
we can pickle that
I've never been to a national park, but they're pretty much all on the list
Ronnie Gardocki
quote:
I've never been to a national park

How is that possible? Not even when you were a kid?
Holly Golightly
AG
quote:
I've never been to the grand canyon. I'm not really a nature guy, a real city boy. To me it would be just a big hole in the ground. /millenial behind me on flight from Flagstaff to Phoenix

I am glad that I saw it. We did a helicopter tour over it at sunset. Then hiked a mile down at sunrise. And quite honestly that was enough for me.

I liked Zion and Bryce Canyon is much better
HossAg
AG
I'd love to do a top gear style road trip and go to some of those amazing roads in Italy. They have some incredible roads and views there. That interests me more than something like the grand canyon.
512Ag
AG
quote:
Same for me.

I did a road trip a few years ago from Sacramento to Austin. We stopped at Yosemite, Death Valley, Bryce, Zion, Arches, and Grand Canyon. Maybe one more. It was really amazing to see America in all its glory. Have also been to Everglades, Shenandoah, Guadalupe Mountains, Redwood & Carlsbad Caverns.

I'd still like to go to Yellowstone, Glacier and Big Bend. I'm sure there are others.
WC87
AG
Yellowstone or Hensel.
we can pickle that
quote:
quote:

No, we never traveled much. Just Disney world and Mexico
HossAg
AG
Disney world is the best place ever
Claude!
quote:
quote:
quote:

No, we never traveled much. Just Disney world and Mexico

Better than Mexico Disney.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.