Convention coming to New Orleans for Guys who like My Little Pony.

6,377 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by we can pickle that
Amazing Moves
How long do you want to ignore this user?
http://www.bestofneworleans.com/gambit/brony-ing-up/Content?oid=2500061

quote:
Ingrid Nilson, the voice of the My Little Pony character Maud Pie, is going to be at DerpyCon South this year. That sentence may not mean much to you in fact, it even may not make sense but for an entire subculture of geekdom, those words are as magical as Rainbow Dash, Applejack and all the other ponies living in the fantasy world of Equestria. Next weekend, New Orleans will host its second annual DerpyCon South, a convention dedicated to fans of the children's cartoon show My Little Pony Friendship is Magic (the franchise's fourth generation, often abbreviated simply as MLP). The fans, though, won't be little girls in pink tutus and pigtails. They will be men, possibly dressed in pink tutus (though more likely dressed as their favorite animated horses), talking about the show's themes, the art it inspires and other grownup topics centered on a subject many will ridicule them for having any interest in at all. They call themselves bronies.According to Brendan Moore, a New Orleans brony who moved here from Ohio to pursue a Ph.D in philosophy at Tulane University, there are about 56 My Little Pony (MLP) conventions across the U.S. each year. BronyCon, one of the biggest MLP conventions, is held in Baltimore. More than 10,000 people attended this year. DerpyCon, the New Orleans convention, will feature discussions with Nilson. There also will be panels with artists who sketch the show's characters, and there will be a marketplace for fans to sell the artwork that's the result of the show's inspiration. Moore runs the local New Orleans brony Meetup group, which has 31 active members. When he talks about that number, he says "only," and when I say that 31 seems like a lot, he replies that most brony Meetups, such as the one he was in when he lived in Cincinnati, have between 1,000 and 2,000 members. Moore has degrees in philosophy, psychology and pre-law, and he has the equivalent of two masters in philosophy. He teaches at Ohio University online. "Sixty-five or 70 percent of bronies are college graduates, or are just about to graduate," he says.What does it mean to be an adult male fan of the show? It's not the same thing as being an adult male fan of Lost. You don't just DVR My Little Pony and bring up the latest episode over a beer with a random friend later in the week, and then move on with your life until the next episode. To be a brony means dressing up as a brony.
quote:
There are an estimated 12 million My Little Pony Friendship is Magic fans in the U.S., according to the 2014 documentary A Brony Tale.

Stan Crowch
AG
I used to love My Little Pony when I was a kid.
Kate Beckett
AG
I loved My Little Pony as a kid...then I outgrew it.
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
I don't understand why people make such a big deal about this. Just because we like a tv show you don't watch, you think you can ridicule us? It's no different than posting on texags or playing video games, it is just a hobby I enjoy. There are a lot of good lessons about friendship, and it is fun to dress up and meet other bronies. I don't have many friends but this is a community that accepts me for who I am.
Amazing Moves
I wonder if Geez is a closet brony...
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
#friendship
Beer Baron
AG
Blue Star for posting the most words I didn't read today.
Amazing Moves
quote:
I don't understand why people make such a big deal about this. Just because we like a tv show you don't watch, you think you can ridicule us? It's no different than posting on texags or playing video games, it is just a hobby I enjoy. There are a lot of good lessons about friendship, and it is fun to dress up and meet other bronies. I don't have many friends but this is a community that accepts me for who I am.

Amazing Moves
I knew it was too long but, said **** it. I think the picture and a quick scan is funny enough.
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
We're not just a bunch of weirdos like people think, we are just normal people just like you. (Yes, that is two hot chicks)

Beer Baron
AG
quote:
I knew it was too long but, said **** it.
Preachin to the choir, brah.
Amazing Moves
A Brony Tale Trailer

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgcWpnvyZeA
UndergroundAg
Some of them look like IRL gays!!
Amazing Moves
Seriously?

Kate Beckett
AG
quote:
Seriously?

80s Guy
The name Derpycon should have been a dead giveaway
aggiesq
AG
There comes a time when we have to recognize that when the terrorists say our society isn't worth saving they may have a point. Just sayin
AliasMan02
AG
Saw this phenomenon for the first time at the Houston Comicpalooza this year. Even for my experiences at gaming conventions, it ranks as one of the weirdest things.

People that identify as anthropomorphic animals are still weirder.
JambiAg
Smee
****ing weirdos
Amazing Moves
we can pickle that
quote:
We're not just a bunch of weirdos like people think, we are just normal people just like you. (Yes, that is two hot chicks)

I only see one chick in this picture
Kate Beckett
AG
quote:
quote:

Fourth from the left (with green shirt and camo shorts) is supposed to be a girl...I think
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
quote:
quote:

Do you not see the other one with the Rainbow Dash shirt and long hair standing next to my girlfriend who is giving the peace sign?
JambiAg
quote:
****ing weirdos

Talon2DSO
AG
Best argument to support bullying, that I've seen. If anyone needed an asskicking it's these guys.
Stan Crowch
AG
Such an Internet tough guy.
bobbyb0322
I know some ladies that really like my little pony.
Ginormus Ag
AG
Have any of you Bronies been in a street fight with a Juggalo? How did it turn out?
cr06gis
AG
/tipsfedora
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
quote:

Is that Larry's Pizza in Arkansas? Seriously some of the best pizza I've ever had.
we can pickle that
quote:
Have any of you Bronies been in a street fight with a Juggalo? How did it turn out?

I don't get the juggalo hate. That one episode of Workaholics made me respect them.
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
quote:
quote:

Is that Larry's Pizza in Arkansas? Seriously some of the best pizza I've ever had.

Yes it is, good eye. That was some wonderful pizza and even wonderfuller day.
bmc13
AG
quote:
When he talks about that number, he says "only," and when I say that 31 seems like a lot, he replies that most brony Meetups, such as the one he was in when he lived in Cincinnati, have between 1,000 and 2,000 members.

damn yankees
we can pickle that
Cincinnati sucks at chili, what do you expect?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.