People in my neighborhood are funny

5,181 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by DustysLineup
Btron
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This was from our FB page for our neighborhood. This women's first post is so ridiculous, so this inspiring writer has a nice response.

quote:
About 5:15 am young man in his twenties seen walking/ jogging along Grey rock Trail toward Echo Bluff. Police alerted. He seemed out of place.

One of the responses

quote:
A fellow decides the time has finally come for him to get off his rump and whip himself into shape. It's the summer, but he's serious, and he steels himself to wake up early and do as proper a jog as he can manage. It's got to be early, otherwise he'll wilt too soon to be able to say he gave it an honest try. It's got to be earlier, otherwise there might be people out there to judge him. Other joggers, maybe. What's it like out there? Will he jog too fast or too slow? What kind of circuit is appropriate? Will it creep people out of he passes by too many times? How quickly is he gonna wheeze? When is that stitch in the side gonna strike? Maybe he'll have to walk home and doesn't want to get stuck in the sun. Better leave plenty of time for that.

He lays in bed the night before, dreading. He falls asleep, but wakes before his alarm, and decides if he doesnt do it now, he never will. He rifles through his closet. What do people wear when they jog? It doesn't matter, he doesn't have it. He's got white shirts and some shorts. That will do. He puts them on and runs outside before he can change his mind. Does he jog down his driveway? Kind of weird. He stops, and walks down his driveway, to the sidewalk. Now does he start running? It's weird to just start dashing from a dead stop. He decides to jog in place for a few steps. Yep, he's warming up. Is anyone watching? Is he doing it right? Well, it's time to go.

Down the sidewalk he goes. It's still kind of cool outside. Didn't even know there was a time of day when it was almost bearable. Maybe he could get to like this. Around a few turns, he discovers things look different from this point of view. He's only passed by in his car, before, and this corner of the neighborhood was just the space between points A and B. Now his mind too is racing, it's kind of exciting to actually discover the neighborhood he's been living in. Soon enough he's in parts he hasnt even driven in before. Sure, it's just houses and trees, but they're part of a world he has forgotten all about until now. He can imagine friends he had as a kid sleeping inside one house, and can see himself climbing up that tree. Maybe another day! He can hardly believe it happened so soon, and now he's moving a little slow, but he already feels like an old jogging pro. Who cares, this is his neighborhood, and this is where he belongs.

He turns onto Grey Rock Trail.
Pollo Libre
Very nice. A million blue stars for that writer!!! We have a bunch of busy bodies on our neighborhood FB as well.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
Where do you live? Because I want to never visit there.
chipotle
I love my neighborhood facebook group. It's like reading pure insanity.
bmc13
aTm2004
AG
The busy body has a name...post it. We can write on the neighborhood's wall about seeing a rhino running loose at her approximate address and the zoo being notified. But we will need you to stake out her location and give us approximate times of her departure, arrival, and general outdoor activities.
Beer Baron
AG
I'm sure the cops neutralized the threat.
aglaohfour
AG
That is hysterical! Did the OP get defensive in response?

The Fairmount (Fort Worth) neighborhood FB page is pure gold. "There's a man riding a bike down the street. The bike might be the one that was stolen from my neighbor, so I called 911." Cue dozens of people applauding this paranoia as "awareness" and a couple of people pointing out the ridiculousness of calling 911 because someone is riding a bike. Then a lovely argument ensues. Good times.
chipotle
The HOA fine complaints are the best. I don't even have to troll. They're already angry oveer stupid s*** and that fire fuels itself.
Beer Baron
AG
quote:

The Fairmount (Fort Worth) neighborhood FB page is pure gold. "There's a man riding a bike down the street. The bike might be the one that was stolen from my neighbor, so I called 911." Cue dozens of people applauding this paranoia as "awareness" and a couple of people pointing out the ridiculousness of calling 911 because someone is riding a bike. Then a lovely argument ensues. Good times.

I saw someone in a car yesterday. I've read before that cars get stolen sometimes. I've asked the U.S. Military to perform a tactical nuclear strike.
Btron
AG
Some other responses

quote:
Sounds like you just called the cops on someone who was minding their own business. What's wrong with you?
quote:
Thank you Loretta. I'm sorry folks from other neighborhoods feel it's OK to demean your feelings. If anyone ever feels something is wrong about a situation they see where they feel unsafe, it is best to let the police know about it so they can properly investigate. I applaud your prudent actions.
quote:
Good job Loretta. If your intuition told you something wasn't right, then you did the right thing. Too many times people DON'T listen and it turns out hey should have.
Second favorite response, probably on TA

quote:
Loretta, what were YOU doing outside at 5:15 AM? HMMMM i think I'm onto something here. Why are you in your front yard, paranoid, at 5am? Sounds like meth! I'm calling the police.

I'm just asking questions. Something doesn't seem right here. Who sits outside and monitors who walks by, if they're not on drugs? I'm tired of all these drug addicts in my neighborhood.

OP, PLEASE go to rehab and get help. Things can get better.
aglaohfour
AG
Don't forget city code compliance violations!

Last week, someone posted about how a private law office was watering everyday and he had reported them to code 25 times! He was complaining that code obviously hadn't done anything about it because it was still happening. Some people took his side and said they'd start reporting the office to code as well. Others jumped the guy's ass because he hadn't bothered to call and speak to the owner personally before reporting him and blasting it on FB. That escalated into a 60+ comment thread.
toucan82
****ing white people
GoneGirl
AG
quote:
I love my neighborhood facebook group. It's like reading pure insanity.

Ours too. Solid gold.

Neighborhood fears:

1. HEB - we have - gasp - NON RESIDENTS shopping at our HEB. That's right, people come from OTHER neighborhoods to shop in OUR HEB. And not just nice neighborhoods like Fall Creek or Lakeshore, but some of those lower end ones too. Hide your wife and children (but leave your designer purse and matching wallet in your cart as you put Jr. in his car seat in the SUV). I do have to admit that after church and before the Texan's game starts on Sunday it is an EXCELLENT place to do urban anthropology and people watching.

2. Door to door salesmen. I admit, I hate them. I'll tell them to go away because I don't do business with companies that ignore the "no soliciting" signs posted at every entrance to our neighborhood. But folks are getting creative. One turns her front sprinklers on and others call the cops. Then there's the whole - just guys trying to earn a living crowd, who welcome total strangers into their homes for whatever purpose.

3. People getting wheels/tailgates stolen. I don't get storing junk in your garage and keeping your second largest investment in the driveway. Park in the garage. This suggestion really gets people up in arms. We can't fit our super-mega whatever in the garage (because we thought that 2-door garage style was sooooo pretty). But driveway monitors are big business in our neighborhood.

4. People (kids) putting bubbles in the fountains. This WAS a conversation about prank vs. crime until we all realized that this little prank costs us (the HOA) about $800 to defoam, and if that doesn't work, full cleanout - pressure wash, fill and chemicals is about $1800. Now everyone wants to punch the kids in the nose.

On the otherhand, our neighborhood crimewatch page got on the news for busting house burglars...

http://abc13.com/news/facebook-helps-neighborhood-watch-group-nab-burglary-suspects/117768/

And now we're the go-to experts for the media....

http://news92fm.com/475623/use-a-facebook-group-to-fight-crime-in-your-neighborhood/

new straw
This is awesome! More stories, please!!!!
we can pickle that
That response in op

Holy crap that's awesome
B-1 83
AG
quote:

Steal a bike? Ride it through the neighborhood you stole it from. Taunt the MFs. Street cred. Makes perfect sense.
Amazing Moves
Neighborhood Facebook pages.
Aggie1205
AG

benMath08
AG
Our neighborhood has two facebook groups because one splinter element is even more nuts/racist than the usual nutjobs and all got banned from the first group. It's been pretty satisfying reporting some of the more startlingly racist images they post and seeing them whine about "free speech" when they get taken down.
Smee
ben - where are you at? My neighborhood has a separate FB group to make fun of the main FB group. It is quite entertaining.
Geralt of Rivia
S
I don't think mine has a fb group. I don't know if that makes me sad or happy
tbirdspur2010
AG
Holy crap that jogging story was awesome. Someone get that person a book contract!
WindowLickerAg
AG
We have a county wide facebook page that is pure gold. When I'm bored I read it for fun. All sorts of crime rumors start on there. Right now everyone is upset because people's cars keep getting broken into when they leave their purse (or even their handguns) in the car.Telling people not to leave stuff in the car is like telling everyone they should go get infected with AIDS ASAP.
benMath08
AG
quote:
ben - where are you at? My neighborhood has a separate FB group to make fun of the main FB group. It is quite entertaining.
I'm in the north DFW area. Each group makes fun of the other because they think they are somehow superior, neither realizes that they're just different forms of crazy. It's basically the Aggieland board vs the Politics board.
jamesf
AG
Neighborhood Facebook pages are great entertainment. Here are some of my favorites:
  • The lady who thinks a conspiracy is afoot because, according to her, the same houses consistently get yard of the month.
  • The guy who will say something stupid or ridiculous, get called out on it, then will leave the group. He will usually show up one or two months later.
  • Someone was saying that there was a teenager terrorizing smaller kids in the park. People were speaking in generalities so as not to call him out by name. But then the kids dad came on and proceeded to flame away at everyone even though he was the one who revealed who they were talking about.
  • Lost dogs
  • People warning when Jehovah's Witnesses are out.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
The folks posting in our neighborhood FB group are mostly concerned with cars speeding along one road in particular. Threats of throwing water balloons or shooting paintball guns at the next car that speeds, throwing garbage cans, blah blah blah. But nobody ever has the balls to just call out the people/cars who are speeding. There are less than 50 houses in our subdivision - it's not hard to identify the speeders.

Anyway, people seem to think that 20 mph is a reasonable speed in our neighborhood. They beg the city for speed bumps, roundabouts, speed limit signs... anything that will get people to slow down to 20mph, which they are convinced is the law. No more than 20! 2-0! I'll kill you! ASFHADSAJT[TR!!!!!

I've mentioned a time or two that growing up, I always thought that 30mph was the limit in most (all?) residential neighborhoods, and that with perfectly manicured lawns and brand new curbs and sidewalks, what was everyone so worried about? Maybe it's a teaching moment for their kids to respect cars, the dangers of playing in the street, etc. That idea didn't go over well. It's 20mph damn you! How could you ever put the lives of my perfect little snowflakes at risk by going a single mile over 20mph!! Rabble rabble rabble!

The city finally put up speed limit signs last week. These folks gave virtual high fives to all those involved.

I couldn't help but smile when I got home from work that day and noticed the signs. 30 mph. Nobody has said a word about them since.

I guess they'll just move on to the next topic, which will undoubtedly be a campaign for the developer to sacrifice one of his few remaining lots to put in another playground. Won't somebody think of the children?!
bmc13
AG
f*** speed bumps in general
MSCAg
AG
My neighborhood's Facebook page and mom's group has taught me we never really leave high school.
aglaohfour
AG
quote:

• People warning when Jehovah's Witnesses are out.

There is an ongoing debate on ours about whether you should answer the door every single time someone knocks (in case it's a burglar trying to see if anyone is home), or if it's okay to avoid answering when you know it's Jehovah's Witnesses. There is some speculation that burglars could easily pose as JW in order to elude detection. This comes up almost every time someone posts a warning that JW are out and about.
The Shank Ag
quote:

Fairmount has so much promise but so many illegal vatos that don't get the "this is about to be a really nice neighborhood again" crowd. Hence the drug houses and burglaries.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
I'm glad I don't do neighborhood on FB, but glad I opened this thread.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.