Aerospace/Engineering Nerds

6,285 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Aero95
SW-14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I got a bachelor's degree in aerospace and a master's in mechanical. There's not much sense in going the aero route when mechanical covers the basics of aero and is much more marketable. Once you realize you're not going to be single-handedly designing the next great fighter plane and possibly not even stay in the aerospace industry, mechanical becomes the obvious choice.
AeroAg2012
AG
Everyone always says that aero isn't as marketable, but I know countless guys that graduated AERO now working in other industries.

From comparing classwork, AERO was probably the most challenging curriculum in engineering at A&M and that equips you to do a lot after you graduate.
mid90
AG
quote:
Everyone always says that aero isn't as marketable, but I know countless guys that graduated AERO now working in other industries.

From comparing classwork, AERO was probably the most challenging curriculum in engineering at A&M and that equips you to do a lot after you graduate.

Yup.
EFE
AG
Just an FYI, I showed him the thread today in class and he's very appreciative of y'all's help and input.
Ryan34
AG
quote:

Aero is the most challenging?
Aero95
AG
at the undergrad level, almost certainly. Go look at the requirements compared to other engineering disciplines. We have it all, plus quantum physics for some reason. (still can't figure that out).
Ryan34
AG
Everyone thinks their major is the hardest. Except ID. They're just glad the engineering dept hasn't kicked them out yet.
Aero95
AG
Well, one undergrad major must be the hardest. It just happens to be Aero.

Seriously, we have to touch all of the major engineering disciplines...structures, dynamics, fluids, thermo, controls, electrical. Plus the quantum physics I mentioned, and an extra semester of math compared to all of the other engineers. The senior level electives get really obtuse when you look at offerings like orbital mechanics, advanced aerospace structures, nonlinear controls, etc. Then just for fun there is an all-encompassing major time-sucking 2-semester final design project to juggle on top of the difficult coursework.
Post removed:
by user
mid90
AG
quote:
Well, one undergrad major must be the hardest. It just happens to be Aero.

Seriously, we have to touch all of the major engineering disciplines...structures, dynamics, fluids, thermo, controls, electrical. Plus the quantum physics I mentioned, and an extra semester of math compared to all of the other engineers. The senior level electives get really obtuse when you look at offerings like orbital mechanics, advanced aerospace structures, nonlinear controls, etc. Then just for fun there is an all-encompassing major time-sucking 2-semester final design project to juggle on top of the difficult coursework.

Thankfully they now give you a choice between quantum physics or astrophysics. Astrophysics was waaayyyyy better. Also, orbital mechanics aka "space magic" is now required.

Aero95
AG
quote:
Look at me, I'm smart

Well someone needs to engineer air vehicles that are big enough to hold your brood!
EFE
AG
Zing!
jetch17
AG
Kansans be crazy
bmc13
AG
orbital mechanics
bmc13
AG
spaceship mechanics

ChemEAg08
AG
quote:
CHEN would be better
Aero95
AG
EFE
AG
So....he's chosen the good guys

And he's decided to go the BIMS route instead of ENG.

I think I'll call it win.

The horrible sip cycle has been broken.
Aero95
AG
A&M
Aero95
AG
non-engineering.

We need more engineers.
Old School Brother
As a EE, I worked on a senior design project team for NASA with some Aeros and MEs. The Aeros weren't the dumbest, they were just the best at talking their way out of doing any work.
Ogre09
AG
Mech E is hard to beat when it comes to diversity of industries/applications.
Old School Brother
oddly enough, I'm a EE who now works in the Aerospace industry.
Hwy30East
quote:
Mech E is hard to beat when it comes to diversity of industries/applications.

Very true.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
quote:
Go look at the requirements compared to other engineering disciplines. We have it all, plus quantum physics for some reason. (still can't
figure that out).

Warp Drive.

Aero class of 97 here.

To answer the question, what do you want out of your job? Space/plane fun then yes go Aerospace. If you actually want to NOT have to worry about getting laid off every year because the government doesn't care about either space or defense then go Civil
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
quote:
So....he's chosen the good guys

And he's decided to go the BIMS route instead of ENG.

I think I'll call it win.

The horrible sip cycle has been broken.,
BIMS. I hope he wises up and decides to do BIME or CHEN. Otherwise, he'll eventually come to the realization that BIMS is a worthless degree. I was fortunate to have done well, but i had a whole lot of friends that were sh*t out of luck when they graduated and found out they didnt have the grades for professional school. Med schools don't care what you study and there are much easier majors to choose from if he wants to go the med school route. If he wants something solid to fall back on, though, engineering is the way to go.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Post removed:
by user
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
I still got into med school too, but I could have done that doing kinesiology or allied health and partied my ass of even more.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ragoo
AG
In post Obama America getting a MD is not going to be as lucrative for the MD.
Aero95
AG
quote:
In post Obama America getting a MD is not going to be as lucrative for the MD.
troof
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.