Friend has a physics problem

243,617 Views | 968 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Hagen95
Aero95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
There's the beauty of genetics. The chick in the yellow costume, to whom I would do unspeakable things, and the heifer on the left in blue are probably 99.9999% genetically identical.

It's all in the .00001% baby.

Genetics, and maybe an entire bag of Oreos!
Post removed:
by user
abram97
AG
All great stuff!

thumb

interesting...
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BurntOrangeBoy
This **** is going to end up like that dude who had the John 3:16 signs and the rainbow wig. I saw a special on him a few years ago and I think he went to prison and then committed suicide.

Save yourself while you still can. Turn over all calculators to your local high school and start watching network TV.

Speaking of stupid questions, I have a theoretical question for Physics Clown.

I asked this of Sir Roger Penrose at a lecture once and he gave the dumbest answer I've ever heard. Either way, here it is:

If you create a photon and an anti-photon (basically just a photon as you know) in a particle accelerator they have opposite polarities. If you then fire them off in opposite directions and change the polarity of Particle A, the polarity of Particle B instantaneously changes also. You can change the polarity of A and measure the polarity of B and it's magic. *poof*, it changes to stay opposite A. It's nice and neat and keeps the balance of things but what I'm wondering, and have never been able to get anyone to explain is this: Those particles are moving away from one another at the speed of light. How then can the information be transmitted without SOMETHING traveling faster than the speed of light? Let's call it the "quantum information bundle" or whatever it is that tells Particle B that Particle A has changed polarity and Particle B must now do the same.

How the F is that possible unless that information is traveling faster than the speed of light?

[This message has been edited by BurntOrangeBoy (edited 9/4/2010 10:42p).]
The Lost
The Lost
AMReasons
TeLeFaWx impeached.
AG

[This message has been edited by TeLeFaWx impeached. (edited 9/5/2010 9:44p).]
Xcellerator
(:
ColoradoMooseHerd
Dr. Doctor
AG
BOB,

That is the basis of some ideas for instanteous communication. If you ever read "Ender's Game", they use those particles to communicate with ships going light speed (or close to it).

The only thing that I can think of is dealing with multiple dimensions and strings. To us in 3D (4 actually), it would look like it is breaking the speed of light. As we move up in dimensions (11 needed to get everything lined up), things could "fall" into place that would make it work. That's the best I can give you without having to call a few people.

~egon
jm94
AG
Yeah, I don't see the information as traveling through space, but through spacetime.
BurntOrangeBoy
That's essentially the answer Penrose gave me. He said that there were two possibilities:

1. The particles actually moved BACK along the spacetime continuum to their inception and changed polarity, so they "never were what we assumed they were to start" or,

2. The particles exist as one particle in another dimension so there is no transfer of information across space, but across what we SEE as spacetime in OUR dimension, but they are actually in a different dimension simultaneously and there is no "travel" of the information.

This fact tells me that even if faster than light travel isn't possible, faster than light communication is, assuming we can stabilize the particles and house them in different locations. It'd just be binary transfer of info via polarity changes.

In 100 years people are going to look back on us as Neanderthals.
Dr. Doctor
AG
The faster than light binary data is all we would need really. That's all fiber communication is; turning a light switch on and off REALLY fast.

~egon
AMReasons
AG
quote:
How the F is that possible unless that information is traveling faster than the speed of light?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USLTQVt8QyA
mts6175
Post removed:
by user
ClickClack
AG
previous page is nails
defroach
so that really was the clown on college gameday
BurntOrangeBoy
AMReasons, traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy. Without precise calculations we could fly right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova, and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it?

Kentucky Mustangs
*ponders if data gets "seasick" riding all those gravity waves?*
Physics Clown
Things have been pretty crappy for me lately. I like to come back here from time to time and reminiscence of better times...

trouble
AG
stool softeners?
TelAg2009
AG
Missed this stuff.
hbc07
AG
physics junkie
rock the good ag 90'
What is that red and white rope around his arm????????
HBCanine08
AG
shooting heroine
rhoswen
AG
cortaid
rock the good ag 90'
I just had to go through the whole thread again. It still makes me laugh audibly!

Page 14, "The Kramer", is when we should have noticed the thumb for the first time and really gotten more scared than we were previously.

Total greatness.
SPSAg05
AG
Poor clown...
Aero95
AG
Still laughing!
Mooch98
Scruffy
mason12
AG
yes!!!!!
Ag 11
AG
Just went threw the whole thing again. Still hilarious

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.