Steve Denton receives contract extension through 2021

2,367 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Harry Dunne
bigfoot10s
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://12thman.com/news/2016/9/2/mens-tennis-texas-am-denton-agree-to-contract-extension.aspx
SA68AG
AG
Why in the world would we do that ? We've given the guy a contract to retire on.
Give him a two year extension and evaluate annually.
Chapa96
AG
In other tennis news, Krajicek is about to be on court at the US Open for his doubles match. Im here watching.
SA68AG
AG
quote:
In other tennis news, Krajicek is about to be on court at the US Open for his doubles match. Im here watching.
I'm jealous. I saw him play at the US Open when he got a USTA wildcard. A grounds pass at the Open for the first two rounds is the best way to see high quality tennis up close and personal that there is.
Harry Dunne
I dont know if I cam stand the wait til '21 when Denton retires and Kevin O'Shea takes the wheel and leads us to the promised land
SlickRick
5 years is a long time. Don't really see the point. Denton for sure is on the decline with his age and lack of overall winning at a high level. The OShea hire will ultimately be the demise of the program as he will carry little to no weight on his end.
sharpdressedman
quote:
Why in the world would we do that ? We've given the guy a contract to retire on.
Give him a two year extension and evaluate annually.
It's how our Athletic Department does business. It's far easier to be "good enough" than to take the risks necessary to grab the brass ring. The bar has been set at "respectability" for some time.
Harry Dunne
I agree with the brass ring comment, but this is a tricky situation, as he has done pretty well. Well enough not to be fired, for sure. Texas A&M is not a top 25 tennis school so if we finish in the top 25 he is doing a pretty good job. Tim Cass is a hall of fame coach and he made the sweet 16 every year but never did any better. Maybe once the Elite 8?

On the other hand even if only once, the womens team has proven that you can do better than that. Texas A&M fans are some of the most unrealistic in the country. Tell me why we should ever be a top-five team in tennis? We don't have anywhere close to a top-five facility, we don't have anywhere near top-five academics, we are not in California or Florida and do not have a top-five campus situation. As a matter of fact I doubt we are even top 25 in any of those things. Somewhere between 25 and 50 would be my guess if such a list even existed. That's not saying that we can't win a national championship or that Steve Denton is the best we can do but I don't think it is throwing in the towel or a loser move to keep the guy until he retires.

Harry Dunne
Dp
SA68AG
AG
And Oklahoma, Baylor, Illinois, and Ohio State are top five in all of those categories ? Sorry, we'll have to agree to disagree on what the expectations should be for the program.No reason we can't be a consistent top 5-10 program with an occasional legitimate shot at the title .

I also completely disagree about it being ok to be someone's retirement home. Give him a two year extension to provide some stability to the program and each year add a year if he's performed well ie two year rolling contract. If he's not doing the job, you don't roll the contract and you're only stuck for two years.
Harry Dunne
quote:
And Oklahoma, Baylor, Illinois, and Ohio State are top five in all of those categories ? Sorry, we'll have to agree to disagree on what the expectations should be for the program.No reason we can't be a consistent top 5-10 program with an occasional legitimate shot at the title .

I also completely disagree about it being ok to be someone's retirement home. Give him a two year extension to provide some stability to the program and each year add a year if he's performed well ie two year rolling contract. If he's not doing the job, you don't roll the contract and you're only stuck for two years.

I agree with most of this. A two year rolling contract would have been more appropriate. True, no reason we can't be 5-10 more often than not but it is overachieving if we are. Denton hasn't done much worse than this though. Don't we usually finish between 5 and 15?

On a different now watch Oklahoma implode now that Roddick is gone. They will gravitate back towards what they ought to be.
SA68AG
AG
quote:
quote:

I agree with most of this. A two year rolling contract would have been more appropriate. True, no reason we can't be 5-10 more often than not but it is overachieving if we are. Denton hasn't done much worse than this though. Don't we usually finish between 5 and 15?

On a different now watch Oklahoma implode now that Roddick is gone. They will gravitate back towards what they ought to be.
Don't get me wrong. I don't think Denton should be fired. I think he has done a good to very good job. I think he has fallen short on his international recruiting. However, I do think his recent assistant hire plus a guaranteed long term contract is a formula for mediocrity with no real recourse.
Harry Dunne
quote:
quote:
Don't get me wrong. I don't think Denton should be fired. I think he has done a good to very good job. I think he has fallen short on his international recruiting. However, I do think his recent assistant hire plus a guaranteed long term contract is a formula for mediocrity with no real recourse.

Bingo.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.