Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Having our shower redone - options and costs

1,085 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 20 days ago by mts6175
bagger05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Something was botched on the original installation. There's water under the tile and basically need to get rid of the bottom including first two tiles on the wall.

Have heard this from two different companies. Pretty confident in the diagnosis.

Shower is 44x48. No problems with any pipes or fixtures. Just the pan (and will have to replace the drain).

Question 1:
Is there any hope of being able to JUST replace the floor and bottom two tiles?

Main concern is with the fancy tile on the back wall. See the second pic for a close up. I don't know much about tile so I don't know if it would be possible to make a clean cut level with the rectangular tiles.

Question 2:
If we have to do the whole thing for some reason, what is a reasonable guess for what a total redo should cost? Shower is 44x48 (about 125 sqft of tiled space). Not related to this problem but we also need a shower door. House is on pier and beam. We are in Dallas.

And if you know someone you'd recommend in Dallas to do this work please let me know.

62strat
AG
yes it should be easy to only pull out the floor and first row on walls.

Did you have it installed initially? Did they do a leak test?

The membrane should go up and behind the first row of tiles..

Chase
AG
I think it's possible to only do the bottom/bottom of the walls but given the push out on some of the fancy tile, I'd be inclined to replace it, as well. Something wasn't done correctly there or that would all sit relatively flat.

Hate that you're having to deal with this crap. I'm about to have to try and pull an old tub/toilet out and change an entire 5x6 into a shower/toilet.

Keep us updated.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Odds are if they doesn't build the pan correctly they didn't waterproof the walls correctly.

There's two types of builders/contractors... They either can/do build showers correctly or they don't. No one half does it right.
mts6175
AG
I'd love a chance to look at it for you. You can possibly just do the bottom portion, but need to be concerned with replacing the liner. If it's a sand base it could be ok, just the rubber. I am here in DFW.

matt at Advanced Restoration Co dot com or PM me here.

Edit: To add, if you have to replace the liner, it will be behind the other tile as well.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.