Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Technological Advances with a Downside

2,501 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 6 days ago by I bleed maroon
I bleed maroon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
To set the table, I am very happy with the last century's improvements in quality of life, productivity, and standard of living. However, there are a few items where we've backslid, or accepted tradeoffs where we're actually worse off than before. I share these not to complain, but to see if you have your own list, or best case, can solve some of these!

1) Live Broadcasts - As a sports fan, I love the increased content the streaming world provides, but the inherent delay of events being shown not quite real time and reduced uptime % continues to be a minor irritant compared to the over-the-air or cable reliability and signal.

2) Automotive Self-Maintenance - I am not a do-it-yourselfer on car service, but the latest cars basically take away the option of doing your own work with normal tools and skills. My brother still does everything he can himself, and I'd hire it out anyway, but it would be nice to have an option to use sweat rather than money to service your car/truck. EVs are certainly not going to make this easier in the future.

3) Phone Call Quality - Yes, we gained huge amounts of flexibility by moving to mobile, and yes, VOIP is a lot cheaper than landlines, but the actual quality of the typical call is much worse than it was 30 years ago. Between lost signal, interference, poor sound quality, and full duplexing challenges (two people can't as easily talk at the same time on a speakerphone or a zoom call), the actual conversation itself is more difficult than it once was.

4) Appliance Quality - Despite the addition (or maybe because of it?) of a lot of extra cool features, why do our refrigerators, washers, dryers, dishwashers, and other home appliances break down more often, and fail more frequently? This is despite an almost 30% cumulative inflation in prices over the past 4 years.

I know you all have your own issues to add. If anyone has solutions, let us know, and we'll consider investing in you!
jamey
AG
I bleed maroon said:

4) Appliance Quality - Despite the addition (or maybe because of it?) of a lot of extra cool features, why do our refrigerators, washers, dryers, dishwashers, and other home appliances break down more often, and fail more frequently? This is despite an almost 30% cumulative inflation in prices over the past 4 years.

I know you all have your own issues to add. If anyone has solutions, let us know, and we'll consider investing in you!

I tend to buy the simplest version of anything, appliance, truck or whatever. Less crap to break and the extra features are generally BS. I don't need a butt warmer on my car seat and a mechanical seat adjustment lever works just fine vs a motor and a button to break. My first truck I tried to get a manual handle to roll the window up and down but could not find one. Sure enough like 3 years later it started
slipping. Bought a washing machine recently and I counted buttons and dials, got the one with the fewest
YouBet
AG
I find myself creeping into Luddite territory more and more these days because of tech advances.

• Virtual Keyboards - they suck compared to physical keys. Still.

• Haptic Controls - they suck compared to analog buttons and switches. Give me the latter with real, tactile feedback all day long.

• Laptop mouse pads - worthless, inefficient, and suck compared to a mouse.

• Automotive Maintenance - agree here not that I've ever done much of this myself. But I actually used to do some basic maintenance on my '77 El Camino. Would never even attempt it on my current car.

• Sport stats - the idea of all of this real-time stat tracking that leagues do now with pro athletes and teams sounds cool, but it's so far over the top that it just becomes overengineered noise. So, I've stopped paying attention to all of it. It was better when we just covered core stats.

• Cell service on your watch - as a kid this was awesome; as an adult it's d-bag behavior if you actually talk on your watch outside of your home. Stop it.

• Streaming - (1) The UIs for all of the streaming services suck ass compared to DTV or DISH satellite UI and are super slow comparatively. (2) Compressed bandwidth via streaming actually reduced/reduces the picture quality compared to what I had on DTV satellite. This one should improve over time, but it was noticeable compared to our DTV satellite service when we had both for a while. (3) It has ruined or largely hindered high quality surround sound mixing/editing for movies. This is a known issue in the industry. There is a thread on Entertainment board if you care to look it up.
I bleed maroon
AG
YouBet said:

I find myself creeping into Luddite territory more and more these days because of tech advances.

• Virtual Keyboards - they suck compared to physical keys. Still.

• Haptic Controls - they suck compared to analog buttons and switches. Give me the latter with real, tactile feedback all day long.

• Laptop mouse pads - worthless, inefficient, and suck compared to a mouse.

• Automotive Maintenance - agree here not that I've ever done much of this myself. But I actually used to do some basic maintenance on my '77 El Camino. Would never even attempt it on my current car.

• Sport stats - the idea of all of this real-time stat tracking that leagues do now with pro athletes and teams sounds cool, but it's so far over the top that it just becomes overengineered noise. So, I've stopped paying attention to all of it. It was better when we just covered core stats.

• Cell service on your watch - as a kid this was awesome; as an adult it's d-bag behavior if you actually talk on your watch outside of your home. Stop it.

• Streaming - (1) The UIs for all of the streaming services suck ass compared to DTV or DISH satellite UI and are super slow comparatively. (2) Compressed bandwidth via streaming actually reduced/reduces the picture quality compared to what I had on DTV satellite. This one should improve over time, but it was noticeable compared to our DTV satellite service when we had both for a while. (3) It has ruined or largely hindered high quality surround sound mixing/editing for movies. This is a known issue in the industry. There is a thread on Entertainment board if you care to look it up.

Well, I've never remotely considered myself a Luddite, but I gotta say, I can't argue with any of your points. Track pads, haptic controls, and speakerphones in public are pet peeves of mine, too. Plane travel is getting worse and worse with phone videos being played with full sound - AIRPODS? Get them?
YouBet
AG
I can't travel without AirPods. They are a relative godsend for air travel.

And I forgot one:

Passwords - Holy f'ing Christ is this is a nightmare. Even with something like BitWarden it's still a nightmare. Constant f'ing password login with 2FA and then sometime BitWarden won't work with certain sites and then I have to look it up manually in BitWarden. And then every f'ing time I open BitWarden I get a pop up to reboot so it can download the newest version right in the middle of me trying to find a PW. And if you use VPN it's worse because that scrambles sites from remembering you then you get 2FA'ed out the ass constantly.

Password management makes me want to set myself on fire.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Electric Vehicles.
pfo
AG
Smartphones….. they are an integral part of almost everyone over the age of 14's lives. But they are a huge waste of time and have greatly deceased human interaction. Young people can't get away with the stupid decisions of youth. If somebody films you taking a bong hit, you could lose your promo deal with Wheaties. Everybody can be spied on.

Facial recognition and cameras everywhere…. You can usually see the perpetrator of a crime and many times find him and get him. But innocent Americans can be spied on.

AI…. You can get the answer to any question. But one day it might wipeout humanity.

Electronic banking….. It's awesome being able to send and received wired money within hours. But the gov can shut your bank accounts down and by the time you figure out how to turn them back on, you could lose your home and your business and your credit rating can be destroyed.
Pacifico
AG
Salesforce.com
BiggiesLX
Live music and new artists.

Not sure if Covid ruined its quality or if the cost of living and the majority of youth being talked into attending college took a toll on it. You'd be a pariah for hitchhiking and couch surfing from gig to gig now a days.

Combine that with the cost of running small venues and most Facebook or Google ads for live music results in Ticketmaster concerts for big time artists.

Living in Austin and college towns only a decade ago it was easy to pick up the chronicle to see what's going on or randomly pop in to a music joint. Could be I'm getting old and can't keep up…
boredatwork08
AG
Pacifico said:

Salesforce.com

Ugh. Yes!

I'm convinced the only reason Salesforce is still around is the fact that it was the first-mover in the SaaS CRM space.

It's now a bloated pile of garbage that requires a team of devs and admins to maintain even the simplest instance.
double aught
AG
pfo said:

Smartphones….. they are an integral part of almost everyone over the age of 14's lives. But they are a huge waste of time and have greatly deceased human interaction. Young people can't get away with the stupid decisions of youth. If somebody films you taking a bong hit, you could lose your promo deal with Wheaties. Everybody can be spied on.
Smart phones are a net negative on our quality of life. Mainly due to the decrease in human interaction you mentioned. Go out in public and people watch, and you'll see it. People are so isolated and addicted. And even though I recognize it, I still do it myself. I catch myself ignoring my kids who want to play with me because I'm mindlessly scrolling or reading a pointless article on my phone. How sad.
Dill-Ag13
AG
1. Social media is the worst creation of the 21st century. I believe the division in this country is largely derived from it as people get entrenched and social media fuels the entrenchment.

2. Everything is cheap, a fridge in the 1960s was $3,000 adjusted for inflation. Today that is the cost for the high end ones with a simple fridge comparable in features coming in at $1,000 to $1,3000. Cars are cheap, clothes are cheap. Stuff doesn't last as long because it's been globalized and cost optimized to death.
Petrino1
I was thinking about this the other day, but battery life has gotten worse for cell phones and laptops. I remember when I was in college in the 2003-2007 era, my cell and laptop would last all day. Now, my Iphone battery drains pretty fast if I use it too much. I have two different brand laptops, one for work and one for personal, and their battery life is like 3 hours without plugging it in. My old school Dell laptop in college used to last like double or triple that.
htxag09
AG
I feel like there are far better examples out there than your list.....

Live Broadcasts....yes you said it was a minor irritant but who really cares about the delay? The only reason it's even noticeable is because of other technology. Message boards, notifications, etc. It could have been a 10 minute delay 30 years ago an nobody would have even known (outside people within earshot of stadiums).

Automotive....yes, there are more electronics and more that can possibly go wrong. But vehicles are lasting longer. We just hit a record for the oldest average age of vehicles on the road in the US, for example. EVs....not an EV fanboy at all, but needed maintenance may be harder on EV's but it should also require far less of it....no oil changes, less brake changes w/ regenerative breaking, etc.

No real comment on phone call quality. But way easier to get ahold of people nowadays...I will also say things like videocalling grandparents in another city have never been as easy.

Appliances...again, not sure this is a great example. You can very, very easily buy a no frills appliance that will likely last longer than anything around in the 70s, 80s, etc. and be cheaper. Yes, extremely top of the line appliances are more expensive and may be more finicky....but you don't have to buy those...
I bleed maroon
AG
htxag09 said:

I feel like there are far better examples out there than your list.....

Live Broadcasts....yes you said it was a minor irritant but who really cares about the delay? The only reason it's even noticeable is because of other technology. Message boards, notifications, etc. It could have been a 10 minute delay 30 years ago an nobody would have even known (outside people within earshot of stadiums).

Automotive....yes, there are more electronics and more that can possibly go wrong. But vehicles are lasting longer. We just hit a record for the oldest average age of vehicles on the road in the US, for example. EVs....not an EV fanboy at all, but needed maintenance may be harder on EV's but it should also require far less of it....no oil changes, less brake changes w/ regenerative breaking, etc.

No real comment on phone call quality. But way easier to get ahold of people nowadays...I will also say things like videocalling grandparents in another city have never been as easy.

Appliances...again, not sure this is a great example. You can very, very easily buy a no frills appliance that will likely last longer than anything around in the 70s, 80s, etc. and be cheaper. Yes, extremely top of the line appliances are more expensive and may be more finicky....but you don't have to buy those...
https://giphy.com/gifs/4NnTap3gOhhlik1YEw
htxag09
AG
The guy who started the thread bashing technology can't post a gif?!?!
I bleed maroon
AG
htxag09 said:

The guy who started the thread bashing technology can't post a gif?!?
Insert Alanis Morissette "Ironic" Album Cover here.
YouBet
AG
Petrino1 said:

I was thinking about this the other day, but battery life has gotten worse for cell phones and laptops. I remember when I was in college in the 2003-2007 era, my cell and laptop would last all day. Now, my Iphone battery drains pretty fast if I use it too much. I have two different brand laptops, one for work and one for personal, and their battery life is like 3 hours without plugging it in. My old school Dell laptop in college used to last like double or triple that.

I think this is objectively false unless you are talking about gaming laptops, specifically.

My iPhone XR (now six years old) lasts all day. Brand new it would last me almost 36 hours back in 2018.

My Lenovo laptop will last all day.

My HP gaming laptop will last about 50 minutes and that was brand new. Battery on gaming laptops is trash and makes them pointless to own.
CapCity12thMan
AG
perpetual ear buds in your ears ranks up there with talking into your watch. This was the equivalent in the 2000-2004 era of people with those Nextel phones using the walkie talkie feature.

Appliances - yay we bought a newer/fancier one (still just use Time Dry setting for 30, 40 or 50 mins)

I'll also throw in there hands-free faucets, soap dispensers and power towel dispensers. At no time do I feel like more of an idiot sitting there waving wet (or dirty) hands at something and then having to move around to find one that works.

EliteZags
AG
pfo said:

AI…. You can get the answer to any question. But one day it might wipeout humanity.

so true.

also what is our mitigation plan for alien invasions and zombie apocalypse?
or even more concerning what happens in the event of a phenomenon causing 2 people of starkly contrasting age/gender/personality to switch into each other's bodies?
gggmann
AG
The quantizing of drum tracks (e.g. beat detective) along with pitch correction and auto tune have ruined music. It no longer has an organic or human feel.
Dirt 05
AG
Adaptive cruise control - big fan of it especially on long trips out west, but it creates bad habits when I hop back in my 2015 Tahoe without it - I find myself not paying as much attention to the road as a should.
I bleed maroon
AG
Dirt 05 said:

Adaptive cruise control - big fan of it especially on long trips out west, but it creates bad habits when I hop back in my 2015 Tahoe without it - I find myself not paying as much attention to the road as a should.
Very good one, along with the omni-present ear buds one!

Still waiting for the omniscient htxag09 to drop the real wisdom on this thread (and to help me with posting GIFs from an Apple device).
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.