Outdoors
Sponsored by

A&M potable water testing service?

1,281 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Fightin TX Aggie
Buck Turgidson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I seem to recall that you can send samples of your tap water to A&M and they will send you test results indicating the levels of the various contaminants they find in it. I'm having a hard time tracking that down online. Do any of you have a link or know how I can get started?
Cen-Tex
AG
If no luck call the TCEQ at 512-239-3754. They can help you.
Bronco6Gen
Not sure about the A&M service you are talking about, but there are several independent labs that will test your water. It is cheaper if you tell them what you are concerned about and they can test for those or test for a common panel of contaminants. If you want them to identify all contaminants they'll need a Time of Flight or Q-TOF instrument and that is much more expensive. Aqua-Tech Labs in BCS has some drinking water testing.

Aqua-Tech
GSS
https://soiltesting.tamu.edu/

Soil, water, and forage testing.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
aggie4231
AG
You can also check TCEQs Texas Drinking water watch site to see what your Water System's required water test results are.

https://dww2.tceq.texas.gov/DWW/

You can also request the information from your water system.

If your water comes from a private water source, you would need to send in a water sample to a lab. Although you would need to contact a lab or other testing service with your concerns for what you want tested. Different tests for different chemicals in water require certain "preservatives" in the sample containers.
TAMUG'04 Marine Fisheries.
aggie4231
AG
GSS said:

Their water testing is for non-drinking water, basically they test for agriculture purposes or for what's in your that would affect your yard. The test methods, chemicals analyzed, etc are different.
Jbob04
AG
I've used aqua tech in Bryan before and didn't have any issues. I recommend them.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Call Shelley. They specialize in drinking water tests and handle all of mine (I have a public water system).

Shelley B. Young, P.E.
WaterEngineers, Inc.
17230 Huffmeister Rd.
Cypress, TX ~ 77429
tel: 281-373-0500
fax: 281-373-1113
www.waterengineers.com

GSS
aggie4231 said:

GSS said:

Their water testing is for non-drinking water, basically they test for agriculture purposes or for what's in your that would affect your yard. The test methods, chemicals analyzed, etc are different.

Not true, their water analysis applies to potable water, irrigation water, and agricultural use and livestock.
Edited to add: the statement on their website, regarding drinking water, is new. I have multiple reports, on multiple wells, where the analysis was reported three ways: consumption, irrigation, and livestock.
Wonder what happened?
Just last year Burleson county and the Post Oak Savannah water district collaborated, to offer reduced cost private well water analysis, and it was done at the A&M lab. Results were ranked for the three categories I mentioned.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
JeremiahJohnson
AG
Your local municipality will likely do that too.
schmellba99
AG
Buck Turgidson said:

I seem to recall that you can send samples of your tap water to A&M and they will send you test results indicating the levels of the various contaminants they find in it. I'm having a hard time tracking that down online. Do any of you have a link or know how I can get started?
Call your local county extension office, most of the time they have that capability and will provide the service for a very reasonable price.
B-1 83
AG
aggie4231 said:

GSS said:

I certainly had our well water at the ranch tested.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
JeremiahJohnson
AG
Their testing won't be to the spec of tap water. They likely do not pay the certification or can test to the ppb levels. A simple ICP will get most of what you are doing.

What contaminants are you looking for?
GSS
A phone cal to the A&M Lab yielded some clarity: They have, and still do, test for domestic use, but they do not certify it as "drinking water" safe, due to the lack of bacterial testing.
I have been on various well water for almost 50 years, have never tested it for bacterial cooties. I guess ignorance is bliss...we do run the water through a small RO unit, primarily for the sodium removal. Tasty water!

I asked about bacterial testing, and he mentioned Aqua-Lab as a local resource.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
jagsdad
There's LCRA lab in Austin. That's where we send all of our municipal lead and copper samples. They also do the testing for all other contaminants.
goatchze
AG
GSS said:

A phone cal to the A&M Lab yielded some clarity: They have, and still do, test for domestic use, but they do not certify it as "drinking water" safe, due to the lack of bacterial testing.
I have been on various well water for almost 50 years, have never tested it for bacterial cooties. I guess ignorance is bliss...we do run the water through a small RO unit, primarily for the sodium removal. Tasty water!

I asked about bacterial testing, and he mentioned Aqua-Lab as a local resource.

So take one sample to them and another sample to the health district.
Moy
goatchze said:

So take one sample to them and another sample to the health district.

In the Brazos County area, use Aqua-Tech or a similar analytical lab. I would NOT recommend involving any govt entity that has enforcement action capability, such as the Brazos County Health District.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
Probably right, but I am a water treater and did some water safety plans for a prominent business complex in Houston. I had 118 tests. 20% of them had coliforms. The city did not do *****
aggie4231
AG
If you are on city water or any other public water company, and you have concerns about your water quality, I would contact your water supplier and TCEQ. Depending on your concerns and the potential issues/problem, it could warrant testing/investigation by the water system or TCEQ.

If you are just wanting to know what the chemical levels are in your tap water, that information is readily available.
swampstander
AG
I've used Ward Laboratories a few times and have been happy with their service.
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
I've had good luck with the Health Metric test kit

https://www.amazon.com/Well-Water-Test-Kit-Drinking/dp/B07MXJRK6R/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.