Outdoors
Sponsored by

What's everyone do for a living?

23,405 Views | 214 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by Wooahhhh
TH36
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My CPA/Tax question on here had me think of another question today…

What does everyone on the outdoors board do for a living? I've known CS78 for close to 20 years on another board and him and I pretty much know everyone on there cause it's such a small group. I know what some of you do but definitely a lot larger group.

I'll start it off, I'm a plumber by trade. Got into it right out of high school and after deciding if I wanted to do that or follow in my Dads footsteps of being a mechanic I stuck with plumbing. I now hold a Texas Masters license. I'm currently a project manager/estimator/sales for a Mechanical Contractor.

My Dad always told me to go to school and get a degree that means something or learn a trade. I went the tradesman route and it has definitely paid off and only continues to get better.

Why am I on an Aggie board? Well my Grandpa and Great Uncle were both Aggies, my Grandad was class of 56 and not sure about my Great Uncle. My Grandad passed when I was around 1 so I never got to know him. But damn in the few times he got to hold me he must've whispered in my ear about being an Aggie cause I'm as diehard a fan as I can imagine.

So what's everyone else do? How did you get there?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I work as a janitor in a college, even though I feel like I am smarter than most of the people that go there. Sometimes I see an equation on a chalk board and I just figure it out…
TH36
ttha_aggie_09 said:

I work as a janitor in a college, even though I feel like I am smarter than most of the people that go there. Sometimes I see an equation on a chalk board and I just figure it out…

Life needs plumbers like me to help the poop and throw up have a place to go and needs people like you to sweep up the stuff that doesn't quite make it there….

Btw….Ive seen enough of what you post to know you're fibbin.
Unemployed
AG
There are some crazy people on TexAgs. I wouldn't disclose personal information on here.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
cupofjoe04
AG
Unemployed said:

There are some crazy people on TexAgs. I wouldn't disclose personal information on here.

Username checks out.
Shoefly!
AG
I'm unemployed right now, but I'm thinking about getting back out there and doing something I like. It's out on the water and I thoroughly enjoy being out there.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Sometimes I enjoy being sarcastic a little too much… I also enjoy making references to Will Ferrell movies, like Step Brothers.

On a serious note, I work in BD and am fortunate to work at a really good company. The guys I work for are great and a few are Aggies. The one that posts on here is my favorite

Ultimately, I have been very blessed. I learned a lot of really good things from my dad and grandfather about keeping your word, working hard, building a network, and how to listen to people. I busted my butt working in college and have maintained that work ethic throughout my career. I love having fun, meeting folks, and talking hunting/fishing with folks.

I'd dive into more detail but probably should protect my anonymity as much as I can, even though many people on here know me behind the scenes.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
I am a highly trained ambulance driver. Please spread the word, if your family member that has mobility issues falls while nude and they are nor injured, please place an item of clothing on said family member.
Ogre09
AG
I make salt water by mixing salt and water.
eric76
AG
I climb ladders (among other things) around the farm.

I nearly fell off of one Monday, but landed on a shrub. No injuries. It did take a while to work my way out of the shrub, though.

Not bad for 69 years old, but the next time I need to climb an old ladder, I'll make sure that someone else is around.
eaa84059-c3ef-468a-998c-75e682c328fa@8shield.net
ttha_aggie_09
AG
69 years old?

AgDad121619
AG
TH36 said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

Life needs plumbers like me to help the poop and throw up have a place to go and needs people like you to sweep up the stuff that doesn't quite make it there….

Btw….Ive seen enough of what you post to know you're fibbin.
you probably knew this but tta was referencing Good Will Hunting movie
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Technically, I was referring to Step Brothers, which was referring to Good Will Hunting but you get my drift.

redaszag99
I assume you do commercial mechanical...

How is business in this economy?

I do power and controls construction for midstream and downstream O&G and business is OK.

TH36
redaszag99 said:

I assume you do commercial mechanical...

How is business in this economy?

I do power and controls construction for midstream and downstream O&G and business is OK.

The company I work for has a large foot print in the Special Projects and Service portion of the industry so we're doing pretty well. Couple that with having our foot in the door with government work (schools and municipalities) and it keeps us busy.

I have noticed the private sector slowing down a little bit or people getting tighter with their money. I deal mostly in the service/small projects portion though so there's always work to be bid.
cledus6150
AG
I work for a O&G company and handle Regulatory permitting for operations in my areas.
Law361
AG
I'm the hardest working man in oil
fullback44
AG
i do as little as possible, I work in a toll booth, if you know me I'll give you a free toll fee …. This is what my buddy used to tell the women in Houston when we were younger…. They would give him their number so he could give them free toll fee's…. This is a true story. He was actually in medical sales ..
drummer0415
AG
Your mom.
GentrysMillTX10
AG
I drove an A&M bus in my undergrad years. Bounced around the oilfield services world for a decade and then a short stay in pipelines & fuel terminals industry before being recruited into commercial insurance. Now working with oilfield and trucking companies on behalf of a commercial insurance carrier. I spend my time translating between underwriters and our insureds. It's amazing how much underwriters and even insurance carriers have no concept of reality for their insureds. It's my job fix that while improving our underwriting.

If CS78 is who I think he is, he taught me to drink rye whiskey…
Hoyt Ag
AG
I manage 3 coal power plants and a solar field. Will be out of a job in 2028 when coal goes bye bye if any needs a good facility leader. I don't like what I do, but it's fantastic money and allows me to retire by 50. Those that know me personally say i am good at what I do, but i dont exactly look forward to work each day. The time off is great though, about 7 weeks a year. Typing this from Lamai Beach in Thailand, currently.

I also guide on the side, partial ownership of a small business in town, and a rental house owner.
combustion artist
AG
IaaS service delivery manager Technical sales on data center gear for 20+ year and now IaaS
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
Have worked in various sectors of O&G since 2012. Service side of the drilling sector for some time, then into the production side of things where life is much more stable.

Worked for a few production companies pumping wells (Anadarko/Oxy, Laredo, Pioneer) and now I am a Vapor Recovery Unit technician for Pioneer until the Exxon takeover and transition officially happens in 2025. Exxon doesn't have my department that I am in, so hopefully I still have a job when all of that takes place. Have a few backup plans in the works in case they give me a severance package.

Have a handful of sheep and goats I raise on a little old family place, grow some hay and wheat to graze them on to try to minimize the hay we have to buy.

***CS78 is good peeps. He taught me and Gulp Juice Fingers how to duck hunt while we were at A&M and always took us with him when we wanted to go.***
Independence H-D
I work for myself doing voiceovers and a small marketing consultancy. We'll have a short-term rental property coming online in the next two months. If any of you would like your own personal intro to use online, on your voicemail or in public speaking settings, I'll be happy to produce one for you at a great Texag's price.

They also make great, unique gag gifts.
malenurse
AG
Duh....
88planoAg
AG
Do you have a home studio? How did you get into voiceovers?
maddiedou
AG
And Dove hunts
maddiedou
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
The dove hunting hasn't been great the last few years. In fact it's been pretty piss poor for a while now. Not sure what happened, our place used to be lights out every year. I didn't feel right having paying customers after a few bad hunts so I don't do it anymore. Maybe one of these days it will pick back up.
MouthBQ98
AG
Telecom engineer. Same thing my dad did, but we took a little different rotes to get there. We have a lot of the same aptitudes however so it makes sense. A fair bit is doing the right design and then explaining why the proscribed rules and guidelines don't make sense for the particular project. I started more on the long range network planning side but moved to field design becaecwe get to actually go out and look at stuff. It requires a bit of creativity and common sense at the same time.
I once wanted to try to climb up the management chain but after getting a sense of all the BS and unreasonable expectations and other people's problems they have to deal with, I decided I should stick with what I enjoy more and what I am good at.

Had several relatives in telecom construction and we can all talk shop and swap old stories when we get together and we have a common frame of reference. A lot of us worked in the same area for a good while and knew the same people.
buzzardb267
AG
Dirty-8-thirty Ag said:

The dove hunting hasn't been great the last few years. In fact it's been pretty piss poor for a while now. Not sure what happened, our place used to be lights out every year. I didn't feel right having paying customers after a few bad hunts so I don't do it anymore. Maybe one of these days it will pick back up.
We live in Young County and I attract doves by feeding the worthless birds for my wife's amusement. That severe freeze we had took quite a toll around our place. I found at least a dozen frozen doves huddles against the south side of the house, the south side of the well house and the south side of my shop. I suspect you could extrapolate that state wide and come up with some eye popping numbers. I don't know how long it would take to recover from a kill off like that.
"ROGER - OUT"
Rattler12
Absolutely nothing .........and I'm dayum good at it
tandy miller
AG
I am a remote reporting analyst.

I work from wherever I want.
ag94whoop
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

You're also a super spy who can't remember anything about his past
Hoosegow
I'm a professional babysitter. I baby sit my boss and my boss's boss. I babysit my peers. I babysit the 90ish guys working for me. I sit down and tell people why they should show up to work and why they don't get promotions for not showing up to work. Recently I've switched from being the go to guy for my boss to where all I say now is "Whatever you think." They aint getting the best out of ol' hoose anymore. I gave my best for too long for nothing in return. Oh, and I play a lot of games on my phone while half paying attention to meetings. Basically over the last year or two, I've become a world class slacker.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.