Outdoors
Sponsored by

Best Pellet Grill for Grilling

2,515 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by thumbsup73
Bonfire97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
OK, so I have been on a search for gas grill because I need something for quick week night cooks (chicken thighs, pork chops, fajitas, etc.). I had decided on a Weber Spirit II E-210. However, everyone at work is recommending a pellet grill. I always thought those were for smoking, so I really hadn't even considered one.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a ~$500 range pellet grill that they would recommend for grilling? I see some of the Pit Boss ones have a "sear" plate that supposedly works well. I have a wood burning pit I will always still use for smoking, so this would mostly for grilling. Thanks in advance.
smstork1007
AG
I've tried/used just about all of them, and the only one I would say is a true grill is the Oklahoma Joe's, as a matter of fact, i'd say it kinda sucks as a smoker. But is throws a huge flame, over a much wider area than any other pellet grill. I usually always fire one up to do grilling, giving it a wood fire flavor that gas cannot bring.
BCStalk
Pit Boss is still working great for me. Just cooked a picanha tonight

oldag941
AG
Been happy with the Yoder 640.
Ctree
I got a Masterbuilt 800 w a pizza oven for $650 at Costco.
TDub5
AG
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pit-Boss-Austin-XL-1000-Sq-in-Wood-Fired-Pellet-Grill-and-Smoker-Onyx-Series/1743503196?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13=5447&gclsrc=aw.ds&adid=222222222771743503196_117755028669_12420145346&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=501107745824&wl4=pla-394283752452&wl5=9058761&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=1743503196&veh=sem_LIA&gclsrc=aw.ds&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw9IayBhBJEiwAVuc3fp2hV5NKuUYyPvvNAjECcNk9eZMbwTOqBXwljCrubOkpu7RciqjSdBoCpLgQAvD_BwE

Been super happy with this one - cheap, easy, great for a reverse sear.
tmaggies
AG
Louisiana by Pit Boss and it's portable.
WestTexAg12
AG
oldag941 said:

I'll second this. Love my Yoder. Have the grill grates and the pizza oven. Everyone loves the pizzas. I've started doing all my steaks reverse seared on the Yoder ever since. I used to do them in a skillet.
chase128
AG
I've had good luck with Grilla
JLN90
AG
I use my pit boss mostly for grilling, smoke on the offset, also I use a cast iron on the pit boss
southernboy1
AG
Depends how much your willing to pay the chinese. We have a pit boss at work and it does really well with everything. I have a p&s at home, long smokes are great. If you want to sear a steak you have to purchase the item. That really sets me back for suggesting it. A few friends have recteq and that's really good cooking pit.
BurnetAggie99
Have the biggest version of the Green Mountain stainless with WiFi. Had it for couple years and zero issues.
forumjunkie
Not sure what your budget is but Pitts & Spitts makes a mean pellet grill.
Cost is pretty high but they're nice.
TH36
Everybody seems to have bailed on Traeger but I still love mine.

Don't laugh at the steak cut up like a kid. I know I know…
Bonfire97
AG
Thanks for the replies. Wow, after looking some more, the world of pellet grills is a bit overwhelming. Any thoughts on this one? This is one of the least expensive stainless ones I found:

The Patio Legend 410 Pellet Grill| recteq
EFE
AG
Rectec Bullseye
aggiesundevil4
AG
I had a pit boss and it became junk in 3 years. Had to toss it. Bought a rec tec and it has been amazing. I got a bigger one like the rt-1200 or something

AgsMyDude
AG
oldag941 said:

Winner, winner

Yoder FTW
Bonfire97
AG
EFE, do you have the Bullseye? Been looking at that too, but the cleaning looks a little tough with it not having a grease tray.
EFE
AG
I do. For normal cleaning between hot cooks (steaks/Fajitas/chicken/pizza) have a Dustbuster to vacuum out the ashes. After longer greasier cooks like a brisket or pork butt, I crank it up to riot/750 and burn all the grease off to clean like a self cleaning oven, but slightly smokier for a few minutes.
TRL-Ag
EFE said:

Rectec Bullseye

Big fan of mine too.

TRL-Ag

EFE
AG

robstrom
AG
Love my recteqs

Have bullseyes and a 590. Use them both for at home use and competition use.
Bonfire97
AG
Thanks for posting the pics. I might be sold on that thing now!
Bonfire97
AG
I do have a question about the Bullseye. One video I saw on Youtube the guy said something about the lid vents getting clogged with ash? Was he mistaken? I guess that brings up a question in general - does ash fly around in these things when turned up really high and ends up on the grill/meat? I got to thinking about the principal of how these pellet grills work (i.e. forced air fan) and am wondering about what keeps the ash from doing that. Thanks in advance.
robstrom
AG
Bonfire97 said:

I do have a question about the Bullseye. One video I saw on Youtube the guy said something about the lid vents getting clogged with ash? Was he mistaken? I guess that brings up a question in general - does ash fly around in these things when turned up really high and ends up on the grill/meat? I got to thinking about the principal of how these pellet grills work (i.e. forced air fan) and am wondering about what keeps the ash from doing that. Thanks in advance.

I've never had any ash flying around with either of mine. And I've had it for over 2 years and use it quite often.
thumbsup73
AG
Oklahoma Joe's for the short haul and its been great going on 6 years now with no issues!!
For the long smoke I turn to my Pit Boss which I have attached a smoker tube externally that pumps in smoke via a small fish tank pump. Works amazing and produces a great brisket or pork butt!!
That's my setup.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.