Home Improvement
Sponsored by

St. Augustine has varying shades of green - why?

2,227 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by agnerd
CapCity12thMan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
yeah yeah yeah, I know...St. Aug sucks.

Why does it have these lighter patches of green everywhere - looks like shadows and light but this was on a cloudy day and you can just see lighter green streaks and patches everywhere. The brown areas are recovering from last year winter/summer damage.

I did put some image weed killer on over a month ago - guessing that is it, but just wanted to check. I figured with all the rain, the coloring would have evened out by now.

Forum Troll
AG
Because you looked at it funny, and it got diseased as a result.
tgivaughn
AG
IDK but similar colors from nature bumper crop of cannas, growing so fast they exhibit some rare very light green for awhile - most noticeable in sunlight

Maybe your lawn will overtake the Texas weather abuse before it turns on us again
IMHO and am sticking to it
bam02
AG
As I understand it that is likely a fungus. I have the same battle and at first I thought it was chlorosis but I am pretty sure it's fungal. I see it all over my neighborhood.
ftworthag02
AG
https://neilsperry.com/2024/04/a-tune-up-on-take-all/
ComeAndTakeIt
My Bermuda looks the same in spots after using Image a month ago. I'm thinking about using a green-up fertilizer before our next rain to see if that helps.
CapCity12thMan
AG
makes me feel a bit better - about a month ago I put mine on. I know it says it can cause discoloration I just didn't think it would persist after a lot of rain
1208HawkTree
AG
If you fertilized relatively recently, then got a lot of rain, it may have collected somewhat in low spots. Are the darker areas the lower spots? I noticed this after replacing a couple of areas of dead grass in mine. Tons of rain over a week or so after I put the sod down, and those areas are now much darker green than they started out, and also a lot darker than the surrounding grass.
CapCity12thMan
AG
not low spots, the lawn slopes from street to house about 6' over a 40' span, so it isn't flat anyway really
rancher1953
Would bet a dollar that as mentioned above you have take all root rot. (TARR) better follow Neil's advice and get Scott's Disease EX.
Cromagnum
AG
Take all root rot. 100%
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
rancher1953 said:

Would bet a dollar that as mentioned above you have take all root rot. (TARR) better follow Neil's advice and get Scott's Disease EX.
I planted some new chunks of St Augustine after digging up a couple of big rocks (and a sizable chunk of concrete those MFers left from the sidewalk) and it started to get the dark spot fungus. Disease Ex is just now kicking it's ass but I didn't use much on my lighter green spots. Will have to include that in the next application. I did two years of peat moss but skipped this year since I put in some new stuff. Will hit it again next year.

Is the TARR a lot worse now than it's been in the past or are am I just noticing it around the neighborhood?

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
Cromagnum
AG
Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

rancher1953 said:

I planted some new chunks of St Augustine after digging up a couple of big rocks (and a sizable chunk of concrete those MFers left from the sidewalk) and it started to get the dark spot fungus. Disease Ex is just now kicking it's ass but I didn't use much on my lighter green spots. Will have to include that in the next application. I did two years of peat moss but skipped this year since I put in some new stuff. Will hit it again next year.

Is the TARR a lot worse now than it's been in the past or are am I just noticing it around the neighborhood?

It's gotten worse for sure.
CapCity12thMan
AG

this is what mine looks like now...it's sickly. I had it treated just the other day, and more treatments coming, so hopefully the new growth will come in looking decent. This is the worst my grass has ever looked its frustrating to say the lease
ftworthag02
AG
Gray leaf spot. When did you apply your last round of fungicide?
I would dethatch the area and then bag it. Make sure you're not irrigating at night. Also do not apply fertilizer!
CapCity12thMan
AG

applied on 5/21. - repeat in 4 weeks. I do not irrigate at night. Rachio smart scheduling, irrigation ends at about 7am 2x per week
chris1515
AG
My St Augustine had problems last year, I assume TARR. This spring I bought a bottle of fungicide that screw on the hose and you spray it around. The lawn looks great now. Fertilize+iron+endless freakin rain have also helped.

I recommend the fungicide though for sure.
CapCity12thMan
AG
mine's looking better
agnerd
AG
I have a low spot in my yard that's greener than everywhere else in the summer. But when we get a lot of rain, it gets too wet and turns yellow. If there's no disease, it's probably just too wet. Try turning the sprinklers off until it greens back up next time.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.