Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

College GameDay coming for Notre Dame

10,278 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 24 days ago by TXAGBQ76
BayAg_14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Lake08
That came out of nowhere!!! Sweet!!
Ugly
AG
Did not expect that, but I will definitely take it.
rockwalltxag
AG
Finally made the official start time as well - 6:30 on ABC
barnag
I mean we'll probably get two gameday visits…week 1 and the sips end of season
barbacoa taco
AG
rockwalltxag said:

Finally made the official start time as well - 6:30 on ABC
any other time would be deadly honestly
TX_Aggie37
AG
I wanna win that game really bad.
USAF9705
I was surprised by the night kickoff time at first.
Because the same network has the rights to both the ND/A&M game & the Clemson/UGA game that day, and everyone thought they would put the Clemson/UGA game at night.
But I was told that since that game is indoors (Mercedes Benz Stadium), and it's going to be so hot, they wanted to get ND at Kyle Field at night since that rarely happens.
They think it's going to be a ratings giant.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Odds Corso is part of the gameday broadcast?
StinkyPinky
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Odds Corso is part of the gameday broadcast?
Odds there will be a sign in the crowd about Corso getting naked like his roomie Burt?
LincolnBorglum79
AG
This is the most important game in the race to make the 12 team playoff. Win in a great atmosphere on opening night against ND and we are on the way to a great season. Toughest 3 SEC games are all at home and that game hosting tu could decide one of the 2 teams to play for the sec title.

It's perfect. Now let's do this.
#Mke
AG
Beat out Clemson vs Georgia for College GameDay too which is big-time!!
agnerd
AG
Initially a little surprised they picked this game over Georgia Clemson, but I think it has more to do with ABC wanting Notre Dame on their TVs.

Notre Dame's away schedule is at A&M, Purdue, Georgia Tech, Navy, Army and USC. ABC will only be able to get Notre Dame twice next year, and the GA Tech game probably won't be competitive. We might not either, but Aggie Park and all the changes will be a good draw. So Georgia-Clemson gets screwed because ESPN loves Notre Dame. Nice to benefit from ESPN bias for once.
kevmiller
barnag said:

Did the Ohio state - Michigan game get cancelled ?
VP at Pierce and Pierce
kevmiller said:

barnag said:

Not sure espn will care as much this year when Michigan is 8-3/7-4 going against a one or no loss Ohio State. The tu at A&M has the potential to be two teams with 2 or less losses each on top of the pomp and circumstance.
Unemployed
AG
kevmiller said:

barnag said:

Although not as big of a rivalry game nationally as OSU vs UM, you can understand why this year's game might draw more interest considering it's the renewal of a game that was last played in 2011?
McInnis80
kevmiller said:

barnag said:

All joking aside, I guarantee that FOX Big Noon Gameday will be in Ann Arbor. I don't know how the rating are when both shows are at the same game, but the Michigan folks were not happy with ESPN over the coverage of the Spy Scandal. There will be a bigger crowd in Aggie Park than there would be at a secondary site in Ann Arbor.

I know losing the Big10 hit Herbie hard, but the Big 10 is long gone now for the Worldwide Leader.
Bill Superman
AG
This game is going to set a huge precedent for the season and Elko's tenure as a whole. It would be a great dub for the nation to see and to show the new-look SEC how things are going to be.
Awesome news for Aggies and the campus.

Should be exciting start (vs. ND) and finish (vs. Texas) to the season with College Game Day.

"So long as an opinion is strongly rooted in the feelings, it gains rather than loses in stability by having a preponderating weight of argument against it."

- John Stuart Mill, 1869
DBird
VP at Pierce and Pierce said:

kevmiller said:

barnag said:

Not sure espn will care as much this year when Michigan is 8-3/7-4 going against a one or no loss Ohio State. The tu at A&M has the potential to be two teams with 2 or less losses each on top of the pomp and circumstance.
As much as I love this team this has been achieved twice in this century. We need to be realistic about the first year under Mike Elko's tenure.
SirDeofWood
AG
Lyle Lovett to be the guest speaker...
VP at Pierce and Pierce
I hear you, that is why I said stated "potential." Unlike previous regimes or even previous years, this is one of the most talented and experienced teams this century. A roster full of players that have been a few plays away from winning a lot of games so the starting point for Elko is unlike anything that we can even use as a reference point.
USAF9705
ESPN HATES ND.
ESPN just loves money.

All three times the ND TV contract has come up ABC/ESPN has bid on it & lost, so they hate ND from a marketing & promotional stand point (thus why you see Paul Finebaum & Stephen A Smith doing full shows on why ND isn't relevant).
But whenever they can get ND on a road game they will put it prime time to make more money. But they will be praying ND loses.
Moral High Horse
a little ting in your tang tang
StinkyPinky
AG
Can't get here soon enough.
rootube
AG
USAF9705 said:

ESPN HATES ND.
ESPN just loves money.

All three times the ND TV contract has come up ABC/ESPN has bid on it & lost, so they hate ND from a marketing & promotional stand point (thus why you see Paul Finebaum & Stephen A Smith doing full shows on why ND isn't relevant).
But whenever they can get ND on a road game they will put it prime time to make more money. But they will be praying ND loses.

Do you seriously think anyone at ESPN who didn't attend A&M or ND really cares who wins the A&M/ND game?
Ugly
AG
rootube said:

USAF9705 said:

ESPN HATES ND.
ESPN just loves money.

Do you seriously think anyone at ESPN who didn't attend A&M or ND really cares who wins the A&M/ND game?
Yes. People who make money from games tend to prefer the team that they think will make them more money win
rootube
AG
Ugly said:

rootube said:

USAF9705 said:

ESPN HATES ND.
ESPN just loves money.

Yes. People who make money from games tend to prefer the team that they think will make them more money win

Does ESPN make less money if A&M loses?
USAF9705
Yes.

Who does ABC/ESPN have a contract with?
Who can ABC/ESPN show more games of?

Do you think ABC/ESPN makes more money off of an A&M 11-0 vs Texas 11-0 game, or the same game with both teams having multiple losses?

ABC/ESPN will always root for teams they have a contract with over teams they don't.
Same with Fox, CBS, NBC, etc…

USAF9705
Yes, the rest of the season.

They have a contract to show/promote A&M, not ND.
ND winning doesn't help them at all.
An undefeated A&M team helps them every week.
rootube
AG
USAF9705 said:

Yes.

Who does ABC/ESPN have a contract with?
Who can ABC/ESPN show more games of?

Do you think ABC/ESPN makes more money off of an A&M 11-0 vs Texas 11-0 game, or the same game with both teams having multiple losses?

ABC/ESPN will always root for teams they have a contract with over teams they don't.
Same with Fox, CBS, NBC, etc…

This game is great for ESPN because both teams have a large and loyal fan base which will generate a lot of interest in an opening week where there will be mostly dud nonconference games. The winner is completely irrelevant to ESPN which is a large corporate entity. If A&M loses do you think interest in SEC football will dry up and go away?
rootube
AG
USAF9705 said:

Yes, the rest of the season.

They have a contract to show/promote A&M, not ND.
ND winning doesn't help them at all.
An undefeated A&M team helps them every week.

ESPN just wants games that have a lot of people watching. This will be one of many in the SEC. A&M losing a single game is meaningless to ESPN.

Put another way. If ESPN's business model requires A&M to win every big football game then cord cutting is the least of their concerns.
Only Fans Director
A&M is 1-8 on College GameDay.

Time to break the curse!

1995: at Colorado 29, A&M 21
2000: Oklahoma 35, A&M 31
2006: Oklahoma 17, A&M 16
2012: Florida 20, A&M 17
2013: Alabama 49, A&M 42
2016: A&M 45, Tennessee 38 2OT
2016: at Alabama 33, A&M 19
2018: Clemson 28, A&M 26
2021: at Ole Miss 29, Texas A&M 19

Lots of very close games.
Proud father of an Aggie undergrad!
The Zookeeper
AG
VP at Pierce and Pierce said:

kevmiller said:

barnag said:

EEEEASY there, Turbo
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
This game is going to set a huge precedent for Mike Elko's first season. A win on GameDay in front of 105,000+ fans at Kyle Field on opening night could propel us to a great season. Our toughest SEC games against Missouri, LSU, and Texas are all at home. If we enter our final week 9-2, our season finale against Texas could determine who will face Georgia in the SEC Championship Game and a playoff spot.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.