Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

2024 Dryuary

24,214 Views | 234 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by hph6203
1997aggies
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm in. Who's with me?
AggieOO
I'll do my usual sorta dry. My birthday is in January, so I'll be dry other than that weekend but I'll go well into Feb.
K Bo
AG
If I don't drink, I'll be celebrating 365 days without alcohol on Jan 6th and plan to keep the train rolling.

I'm in.
Pepper Brooks
AG
I've been doing a dry month each quarter for the last two years so I'm down
“There is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.”

“As government expands, Liberty contracts” - R. Reagan
Swarely
In as always!

Adding a new twist of nothing carbonated or NA beer as well!
aggiederelict
Im in.
BQ2001
AG
I haven't been drinking but I'm going for no Coke Zero/Diet Dr Pepper in January
Scriffer
AG
In

Really cut back in the fall, especially on beer, and it was great. Let myself cut loose a bit over Christmas, so looking forward to getting back on track.
2girlsdad
K Bo said:

If I don't drink, I'll be celebrating 365 days without alcohol on Jan 6th and plan to keep the train rolling.

I'm in.

March 4th will he 365 days for me! I honestly don't feel much different, nor did I lose weight, because I didn't drink that much to begin with. So I figured I might as well give it up all together!
Jackal99
AG
K Bo said:

I'm in.

Congrats! January 1 will be four years (I guess that's a lot of days) for me. I'm not sure I've lost much weight, but I feel a lot better.
K Bo
AG
Congrats to both of you guys!
Matsui
AG
Im in. Also adding whole30 from Jan 2 to Feb 2
wessimo
AG
Giddy up
Apache
AG
I'm in. Almost made it last year, this year I'm going to succeed.
aggiejim70
AG
If I don't drink and don't die, February 1, 2024, will mark 33 consecutive "Dryuarys" (sp?) in the books.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Agzonfire
Okay, let's do this. Gonna be tough
texagco2003
AG
In
bigtruckguy3500
I don't drink anyways, but good luck to all of you. If you've never done it before, try using it as a moment to develop insight into how alcohol plays into your life that you might not have realized.

Couple videos I've come across recently I thought may be relevant here.

Bigfootisreal
In for year three of Dryuary!
Todd 02
AG
Wife and I are in.
RustyBoltz
AG
In again. The wife an I will normally extend our Dryuary into Feb when we take our yearly trip to Boulder.
GeorgiAg
AG
Today is day 7 hopefully of forever. I'm in
Hoosegow
In again. Gonna try to quit quit. The tremmors, chills and anxiety were through the roof yesterday on day one. I had to stay home. Anxiety has subsided significantly. Still get waves of it. Still haven't been able to eat, but I'm going to get a taco this morning.
ptothemo
AG
I'm going to try to tread lightly here, but I can't read this and not say something. I would strongly suggest you seek medical attention if you are having tremors. Typically, they are at their strongest 48 to 96 hours after one's last drink, so you may have a ways to go.

When I quit drinking in 2017, I chose to not go to detox because I was too proud and I didn't want to give up my cell phone, laptop, work, etc. That was a massive mistake on my part, and I put myself and my mother through absolute hell for a few days. Knowing what I know now, I also put my life at risk.

I've experienced it personally, and I've seen multiple people experience it, including not making it out alive.

I don't know you personally, but I care deeply about people in situations such as yours. It was my situation once, and I haven't forgotten it. Please get medical help if you can, and at a bare minimum, please make sure someone else is around to monitor you when/if you potentially can't yourself.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Please listen to the poster above. Medically serious side effects of alcohol withdrawal usually peak around 48-72 hours after one's last drink. These can include seizures and delirium tremens. It is far safer to detox in a monitored setting with benzodiazepines administered based on the severity of your symptoms.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
wessimo
AG
3 days down.

Nice that this January only covers four weekends instead of five like the past few years.
Hoosegow
2 days down. My DTs are not that bad, but they get worse after every long term binge. The anxiety on this one was rough. Still get bouts of it. Insomnia came last night, but I don't know if it was more work or more from quitting. Very well could be a combination of both.

Up until this morning, the desire was to lesson the effects of quitting. Back to craving it.
P.U.T.U
AG
For those having a tough time at night try a supplement with Inositol, Magnesium, and Glycine. Myocalm is one that has worked for me. Unlike stuff like melatonin (which you could also add for initially getting asleep) it helps slow your brain down.

Alcohol does a good job about pushing the stress you are using it to forget to just kick it down the road. For a lot of people it takes a week or so for that next day anxiety to go away.

For a lot of you don't think you are alone with this. A large portion of people in my field are functioning alcoholics that are successful in their jobs. Slowly they went from a nightcap to having several liquor drinks every night and is difficult to go to sleep without alcohol. I mean a lot of people. Some are drinking over 3 handles a week.

Most people I know go right back to it after a few weeks. I will say you need to make sure your significant other or close friends know what you are going through. If they truly care about you they will help you get through this. There are also those who say they are your friends but pull you back in, kick those people out of your life.
bigtruckguy3500
I'm sure you know this, but alcohol withdrawal can actually be lethal. You've got a little longer to get out of the danger window, but if you feel the DTs are getting severe, you get any hallucinations, or develop seizures, you need to go to the nearest ER (preferably by ambulance).
gcracker13
AG
I wanted a margarita SO BAD tonight (3.5 yo and almost 2 yo will do that) but I didn't give in and had a glass of water instead
GeorgiAg
AG
Went on a quail hunt. Only two guys in my crew drank one beer each.

That helped.
Matsui
AG
think i'll drink a coke zero to try and feel something
CC09LawAg
This may not be for everyone and may be considered "cheating" or not doing it "the right way" by some, but Athletic Brewing, Bravus, and others have some really excellent non-alcoholic beers.

I tend to have the craving after a heavy workout and enjoy sitting and sipping on one of those.
wessimo
AG
Saint Arnold's "Hop Spring" does the trick for me. Zero calories and only $6-7 a sixer compared to $10-12 for most NA beers.
Owen Kellogg
AG
I'm in and so far so good. Played poker two nights ago with some friends and was surprised at how easy it was to not drink. They all drank and I was fine.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.