Houston
Sponsored by

Replacement Windows

5,355 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Diggity
Aggie02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any recommendations or feedback on window replacement?

I have gotten two quotes one from Window World and another from Houston Window Experts. There is a significant difference in cost between the two. The U-value and solar heat gain coefficients are very similar. They are both vinyl framed double glazed windows.

I was just wondering about other people's experience with them.
stroodles
AG
We used window world several years ago. Overall I was pleased with the product considering the price. They busted the drywall jambs in a few places, but they also attempted to fix it at the time of installation. It wasn't a perfect fix, but it was sufficient.
cena05
AG
I used Apex and went with their triple pane windows. Have been happy thus far.
Daddy-O5
AG
Sorry if I missed it but who was cheaper?

I've been looking at the same thing over the past couple of weeks. I've gotten quotes from several companies, had one guy specifically recommend I avoid window world after I told him I was getting other quotes, may just be salesmanship because they were going to be cheaper, but indicated his issue was with their installation.

I got a quote from Woody's Windows on a recommendation from a poster on the Home Improvement board. One of the owners is an Aggie, they're certainly in the lead at this point.
94chem
Pick out what you want at Lowe's and hire a carpenter/handyman/painter to install them.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
mwc0746
Check out Vizion Windows and Doors. I had a good experience with them and the price was comparable to Window World.

We used Window World at our last house and had no issues...just didn't really like the sales guy.
Daddy-O5
AG
I liked the guy who came out for Vizion, he was actually the one that cautioned me against Windows World. I didn't get the slimy salesman vibe from him but who knows. I just liked the Woody's Windows guy better and slightly cheaper.

Good to know Vizion and Windows world were pretty comparable.
Aggie02
AG
Window World was significantly less expensive.
aTm_bomb
AG
We had them quote us as well and while cheaper we didn't go with them because they focus on the double hung. We had some very large windows that needed a bit more customization. We did pay more with HWE but felt more comfortable with them and met what we wanted better.

We liked the AMSCO windows more. We got darker framed windows and they are not simply painted like most vinyl windows so hold up better and wont scratch and show white vinyl underneath (a longer warranty too).

I don't fault anyone for going with Window World if they meet your needs.
redag06
Used Allied Siding and Windows had a good experience and the product is great. We have some really large windows and a lot of them and they were more than Window World but way less than some of the other quotes we received.
Rexter
Superior Window from Conroe did an excellent job on ours.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
After having Window World install today, I would never recommend them again. Refused to wait for me to get home after my wife asked them to and they arrived 20 minutes before their scheduled 2-hr window.

Proceeded to break the glass of the old window and leave shards in the room.

Then destroyed my mil work around the window in the process.

Will never use them again.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Aggie02 said:

Window World was significantly less expensive.

And you get the ****ty service you pay for.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Window World is awful. Do not use.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
NoahAg
Red Pear Realty said:

Can you elaborate? We used them. No complaints.
NoahAg
Marvin_Zindler said:

After having Window World install today, I would never recommend them again. Refused to wait for me to get home after my wife asked them to and they arrived 20 minutes before their scheduled 2-hr window.

Proceeded to break the glass of the old window and leave shards in the room.

Then destroyed my mil work around the window in the process.

Will never use them again.

That sucks. The crew that did ours was great.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
NoahAg said:

Red Pear Realty said:

Can you elaborate? We used them. No complaints.
I'll elaborate:

Scheduled for install between 8-10 on Monday. Receive a call at 7:55 saying install would be between 1-2. Annoying, but okay.

Get on 12:15 call at work. Wife starts repeat calling my cell at 12:40. End call at work. Wife tells me they arrived 15 minutes ahead of schedule and despite her asking them to wait til I get home, they started pulling the old windows. Also, they are talking back to her and telling her they need to get started so they can move on. I Leave work to head home.

Arrive at home. During my drive, the WW crew has shattered one window sending glass into the house and has also told my wife to get out of the room where they are working. The crew lead meets me when I arrive and immediately says " hey, I need to tell you about 'your girl.' I tell him I'll go talk to my wife first and then he can explain.

Long story short, call the supervisor. He apologizes but that's about it.

They leave. Caulk shkinks and it's clear they have gouged the hell out of my trim work around the install areas.

Bottom line, I'll never use Window World again and would tell anyone who asks to forego the same.
chap
AG
We went with Superior Window out of Conroe. I believe that was based on a recommendation by Rexter in an earlier thread.

We had quotes from Apex, Window World, and Vizion.

A lot of people have had good experience with Window World, and their prices are tough to beat. They have been recommended here on Texags multiple times.

One thing to remember is that none of these companies actually manufacture. One of Window World's issues is that they have changed manufacturers a few times and that affects their installers ability to accurately measure and install.

Another issue with Window World (from what I hear) is the way they compensate their installers (paid by number of windows/day) lead to issues like Marvin_Zindler had. But, like I said, several people have had good experiences with them.

We also have some pretty large and unique size and shape windows that Apex and Window World both really seemed to struggle with how to replace.

Superior is great and would definitely recommend them.
mm98
AG
Ultra Windows out of Montgomery. Randy is the owner.

Not as expensive as the big companies.

Slightly higher than window world.

Excellent install and cleanup. To me the install was as important as the window.
Caliber
AG
mm98 said:

Ultra Windows out of Montgomery. Randy is the owner.

Not as expensive as the big companies.

Slightly higher than window world.

Excellent install and cleanup. To me the install was as important as the window.
100% this.

I wouldn't go with window world become they're attempting to make money on volume/speed. Too many crews, so you don't know if you have the A team or the practice squad.
Daddy-O5
AG
This is a good way of trying to explain Window World from what I've gathered. Many people are likely to have had good experiences by sheer volume, for the same reason many people (more than most), have likely had a poor experience with them. Lots of decent options out there it seems, no need to roll the dice in my opinnon.
Daddy-O5
AG
I just talked to Randy and had to explain where I heard about him. I'm not sure he quite understood "TexAgs"
mm98
AG
J.D. c/o 05 said:

This is a good way of trying to explain Window World from what I've gathered. Many people are likely to have had good experiences by sheer volume, for the same reason many people (more than most), have likely had a poor experience with them. Lots of decent options out there it seems, no need to roll the dice in my opinnon.

If I recall WW is a franchise operation. So I'm sure the quality ranges greatly depending where you are and which day laborers they grab that week.
texsn95
AG
J.D. c/o 05 said:

I just talked to Randy and had to explain where I heard about him. I'm not sure he quite understood "TexAgs"
We had Randy out (among a few others) years back and would 100% feel comfortable using him. Bad things is we have 33 windows...
Daddy-O5
AG
Randy came out, nice guy and did a good job explaining a few things. We've got 30 windows and a few doors that need updating, the cost is a tough pill to swallow.
PeekingDuck
AG
Randy and his crew are exceptional. I'm guessing he still uses George. Just one more data point if you want it. They won't be as cheap as Window World. We don't live in the house or area where he installed (a couple houses ago), but he was great throughout the process.
Aggie71013
AG
Is Randy still around? Website seems to be down at the moment.
thebird79
Whomever is looking for replacement windows in the Houston, College Station, Bryan, or Navasota area should call Truwin Windows, Doors, & Siding. They kick ass and their prices are very affordable.
Diggity
AG
the bots are getting edgier.

Thanks ChatGPT!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.