Students at Schools Not Zoned For?

2,046 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by CinchAG97
VictorA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I keep hearing reports of parents ignoring the zonings and sending their kids where they want. Is this not enforced? Does the school district just say it's not a big enough issue to worry about? Any cases where a student gets removed and transferred to their assigned school?
Wicked Good Ag
When we did this a while back we had to fill out transfer requests and get it approved

I however know some people who have put the utility bill for addresses in their name in a different school zone

That however was found out and corrected
BCSWguru
Imagine if you had a choice where to send your kids to school.
techno-ag
AG
Some districts allow out of district transfers, some do not. The parents are responsible for transportation, so no bus service if you're out of district.

Some parents rent an apartment in the district they want and claim residency that way.
agnerd
AG
Bingo. Just don't get greedy and also claim a homestead exemption on your house and this almost always works.
welborn
Rent houses serve a purpose for this to so some I know.

I don't approve of this practice for the record.
Average Joe
AG
My kids go to a school they are not zoned for. One child is in dual language, so we were allowed to keep our other child in the same school.

I know this isn't what is being referred to by this thread, but just providing an example of a legitimate reason why a kid might be in a school they are not zoned.
VictorA
Wicked Good Ag said:

I however know some people who have put the utility bill for addresses in their name in a different school zone

That however was found out and corrected
So a student was removed and placed in the school they were actually zoned for?
Wicked Good Ag
I believe so. But this was three superintendents ago at least
Stupe
S
There are also programs that are specific to each high school and students fill out an application for those programs.
Stupe
S
techno-ag said:

Some districts allow out of district transfers, some do not. The parents are responsible for transportation, so no bus service if you're out of district.

Some parents rent an apartment in the district they want and claim residency that way.
I know some people that were going to do that after the last realignment if their kids got split up and wouldn't have blamed them if they did.

Not grandfathering students with siblings already at one high school was stupid.
techno-ag
AG
Stupe said:

techno-ag said:

I know some people that were going to do that after the last realignment if their kids got split up and wouldn't have blamed them if they did.

Not grandfathering students with siblings already at one high school was stupid.
In a past thread, someone on here mentioned how many cars fill the parking lots of certain apartments each morning before the school bus arrives.
Wicked Good Ag
techno-ag said:

Stupe said:

techno-ag said:

In a past thread, someone on here mentioned how many cars fill the parking lots of certain apartments each morning before the school bus arrives.
I know someone who rented their old house to college students but kept the utility bill in their name and added it to rent price (it was built into price)

Not sure if they were zoned fror different school

maybe i should ask them
Hornbeck
From what I'm told, Mumford is mostly kids that aren't in that district….
histag10
AG
They accept transfers though. And they do their due diligence on incoming students (we had applied for transfer a few years ago, but they were full).

I believe there is also a state law with a pretty hefty fine for parents who lie on school enrollment forms about addresses. Don't know how often it is enforced, but I know some local smaller schools do investigate and enforce (looking at you, Franklin)
CinchAG97
Is part of the due diligence that the boys have to be good at basketball or baseball?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.