Best dewberry picking spots?

2,243 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by BrownDeerAggie
Steampunk-Kangaroo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I went out to pick dewberries and found out that my favorite two spots have been almost completely grown over by kudzu, catbriar and muscadine grapes- so I only got a really pitiful harvest. Was enough to make a pie though at least.

Are there any spots y'all know of that are still good?
--- Go and try, you'll never break me! ---
maroon barchetta
Along railroad tracks is usually good for some reason.
Law361
AG
Fields near St. Thomas Aquinas have a bunch
FlyRod
Farm Patch.
Steampunk-Kangaroo
maroon barchetta said:

Along railroad tracks is usually good for some reason.
I've seen a lot of plants growing near the tracks by Northgate before but for some reason I never thought to check it out. Thanks for the recommendation!

My guess why is that the ballast next to the tracks makes the soil sandier and the dewberry plants like that more? Idk, I'm not a botanist
--- Go and try, you'll never break me! ---
TyHolden
AG
Law361 said:

Fields near St. Thomas Aquinas have a bunch

Come on. Let's keep that on the dl…
13B
It was a really poor crop this year. Plus, probably a little late to get any now.
oklaunion
Where is kudzu in BCS?
gettingitdone
Muscadines make the best jelly
woodiewood
Steampunk-Kangaroo said:

I went out to pick dewberries and found out that my favorite two spots have been almost completely grown over by kudzu, catbriar and muscadine grapes- so I only got a really pitiful harvest. Was enough to make a pie though at least.

Are there any spots y'all know of that are still good?
I have never seen any muscadine grapes in this area. It normally will only grow in acidic soils. Do you mean Mustang grapes which is our common wild grape here?

Also, haven't seen any kudzu around either but no doubt its here.

Lots of types of Simlax briar around.

earwigfly
We do have muscadines! Here's a map of the verified observations reported to iNaturalist from Brazos County: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=799&quality_grade=research&subview=map&taxon_id=82529. Personally, I've seen the vines in the woods adjacent to Carter Creek.

oklaunion

I tried back in the mid-80s. Had hunted the Blackbelt of Alabama for a few years, in Kudzu and honeysuckle that filled many valleys between ridges. I found some near Marshall on a roadside and pulled some transplants, babied them and went to a Grimes county property with huge eroded sandy gulches and did my best but that summer got them all.
Probably for the best. But those big bucks sure do like to live down in that *****
CS78
All kinds of stuff thatll take over east of I45 but can't make it past July 1st in B/CS.
oklaunion
Tru dat.
woodiewood
earwigfly said:

We do have muscadines! Here's a map of the verified observations reported to iNaturalist from Brazos County: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=799&quality_grade=research&subview=map&taxon_id=82529. Personally, I've seen the vines in the woods adjacent to Carter Creek.

That's surprising as they need an acidic soil. We do have outcroppings of neutral to slightly acidic soils here. I had about 100 plants on vines when I lived in East Texas. Some of the grapes were about the size of plums.

Good to know.

earwigfly
...We do have outcroppings of neutral to slightly acidic soils here....

Yeah, the banks of Carters Creek are sandy, at least in the area I was observing. Where did all that sand come from, anyway?
R2Fish
Lick Creek Park. At the equestrian parking lot
Independence H-D
oklaunion said:

I tried back in the mid-80s. Had hunted the Blackbelt of Alabama for a few years, in Kudzu and honeysuckle that filled many valleys between ridges. I found some near Marshall on a roadside and pulled some transplants, babied them and went to a Grimes county property with huge eroded sandy gulches and did my best but that summer got them all.
Probably for the best. But those big bucks sure do like to live down in that *****

Why in the hell would you try and bring that vile scourge here?
Smittyfubar
AG
Watch the copperheads!
Hammerheadjim
AG
Dewberry season has maybe a week left. If the birds haven't gotten them, the heat will soon. Try the RR tracks between Millican and HWY 6 (next to Wellborn Rd.). Be advised the RR tracks are the property of the railroads and not public per se.
Walk softly and carry a big stick! Make sure the big stick makes big boom noises and flashy bright lights.
Corporal Punishment
AG
Power line easement near the Pebble Creek Country Club maintenance barn along Fitch. Too many copperheads though for my taste.
KCup17
AG
I'm not giving yall my honey hole location!
BrownDeerAggie
AG
Lots of muscadine grapes on our place near Normangee. They do make the best jelly. They ripen in early fall. Mustang grapes are usually ready in early July.
Psalm 42:1
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.