"No Zionists Allowed" Bar Owner Getting Kicked Out of Lease Property?

3,110 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by 93MarineHorn
UTExan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.sltrib.com/news/business/2024/05/17/gateway-cider-bar-owner-claims/

" Weathered Waves, the small cider bar owned by former Salt Lake City mayoral candidate Michael Valentine, might soon be kicked out of its home in The Gateway."

" Valentine and his cidery became the subjects of attention and an investigation from the state's Attorney General office in March after the bar posted a "No Zionists Allowed" decree on Instagram. The investigation found no evidence of discrimination, but staff attorney staff Amanda Montague "strongly urge[d]" Valentine to "reconsider your statement that you will not serve individuals expressing certain beliefs," according to a letter sent to the bar in April."

"It's not the political statement that concerns property owner Vestar Gateway, though. It's the overdue rent and lease violations, according to a complaint filed in the third judicial court of Salt Lake County Tuesday. Vestar claims Valentine owes $2,695.93 for one month of unpaid rent, plus interest and attorney's fees."

" The complaint also alleges Valentine violated several terms of the lease by selling beer without authorization the lease only permits Valentine to sell retail cider and "cider themed deserts and coffee," according to the complaint and changing the bar's name without Vestar's approval. Valentine changed the name from Six Sailer Cider, the cider's brand name, to Weathered Waves in January in anticipation of becoming a licensed bar."

" The complaint claims Vestar served Valentine a three-day notice to pay or vacate May 7; Valentine claims he never got it."

///
Dude has a hard time following the rules. He was also arrested for theft of Salt Lake City property ( barriers ) to erect a "monument" to dead Palestinians killed by the IDF. He defends this saying that as soon as he put up the monument, he called the mayor and offered to drop the barricades in her office.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Rapier108
Vestar Gateway likely just wants him to go away, and they have a good excuse now to be rid of him.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
BusterAg
AG
So, the bar posted a "No Zionists Allowed" decree on Instagram but The investigation found no evidence of discrimination?

Guess what. I found it.
Captain Pablo
AG

https://dailyutahchronicle.com/2023/11/18/michael-valentine-feature/

"If elected, he plans to refuse his mayoral salary and tackle numerous issues, outlined on his Instagram. They include working towards a universal basic income, defunding/abolishing police, decriminalizing drugs and eradicating homelessness through affordable housing"
Captain Pablo
AG
BusterAg said:

So, the bar posted a "No Zionists Allowed" decree on Instagram but The investigation found no evidence of discrimination?

Guess what. I found it.

You did? What is the discrimination?
bam02
AG
Who the hell wants to go to a ghey ass cider bar?
techno-ag
AG
A bar in Salt Lake City? Brilliant business plan.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
doubledog
Quote:

Zionist : someone who belongs to or supports a political movement that had as its original aim the creation of a country for Jewish people, and that now supports the state of Israel

If it were Democrats who were excluded, then I suppose it would be discrimination...
buda91
AG
Cider sounds like a helluva drug.
bobbranco
AG
Is the bar owner some weird Mormon or a transplant from lala land?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
The irony of a place in Utah doing this is pretty good.
A_Gang_Ag_06
AG
bam02 said:

Who the hell wants to go to a ghey ass cider bar?

Cider and people who drink it.

Sid Farkas
AG
Salt Lake City is lost. Retreat.
Urban Ag
AG
techno-ag said:

A bar in Salt Lake City? Brilliant business plan.
I was driving to Texas from Seattle to get my truck down to CS (Christmas break). My buddy and I stopped at a convenience store outside of SLC to get some beer before we got to the hotel. Lady behind the counter, honestly, almost stroked out when we opened the cooler to get a 12 pack.

It was about 7:00 PM on a Sunday. I had no idea.
SwigAg11
AG
To give a different perspective on the cider: apple trees are everywhere here in upstate NY, and cider bars are pretty popular cause of it.
bam02
AG
That's not a different perspective. That's just an anecdote about apple trees.
techno-ag
AG
SwigAg11 said:

To give a different perspective on the cider: apple trees are everywhere here in upstate NY, and cider bars are pretty popular cause of it.
Good username for cider, eh?

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
DrEvazanPhD
Seems like an interesting way to say "no Jews"
TresPuertas
AG
yes. good idea. isolate a large section of your customer base and try to replace by catering to a religion that forbids drinking.

Bulldog73
AG
I may qualify as a Zionist, depending on how you define it, but noted rich irony in the following
Quote:

The investigation found no evidence of discrimination, but staff attorney staff Amanda Montague "strongly urge[d]" Valentine to "reconsider your statement that you will not serve individuals expressing certain beliefs," according to a letter sent to the bar in April."

The state in effect saying, "You woke bar owner cannot do business because you express certain beliefs about individuals expressing certain beliefs."

I guess me being a 1st Amendmentist supersedes me being a quasi-Zionist.
93MarineHorn
Captain Pablo said:

"If elected, he plans to refuse his mayoral salary and tackle numerous issues, outlined on his Instagram. They include working towards a universal basic income, defunding/abolishing police, decriminalizing drugs and eradicating homelessness through affordable housing"

I always get a good laugh when I hear libs make statements like this. Sure thing, buddy! Crazy, drug addicted homeless people are just a little short on rent $$$ and that's why they live on the street. The rent is too damn high!
techno-ag
AG
They already have affordable housing. It's called tents.

- Joe Biden

- Kamala Harris
93MarineHorn
techno-ag said:

They already have affordable housing. It's called tents.
Also, I like how he thinks decriminalizing drugs won't make the homeless situation much worse. The ability of libs to be the most obtuse people on the planet is staggering.
Aggie95
AG
93MarineHorn said:

Captain Pablo said:

I always get a good laugh when I hear libs make statements like this. Sure thing, buddy! Crazy, drug addicted homeless people are just a little short on rent $$$ and that's why they live on the street. The rent is too damn high!
Look, homelessness is a huge problem...for our veterans and others with mental health and drug issues. I don't pretend to have a good answer for the situation...HOWEVER, anyone pushing "affordable housing" is just a lunatic. There is no such thing in 2024 as affordable housing...even for the middle class, much less those further down the ladder.
One of the bigger issues with affordable housing is there is little to no incentive to keep it well maintained. So, even if you succeed in getting someone into an "affordable" house, by the time it gets to the 2nd or 3rd family, you'll have a complete mess on your hands.
Jack Squat 83
AG

So I guess this scholarly fellow is going to make these things work this time, do them right? I would ask the idiot for a single success story in solving problems by his leftist approach.
Pretty sure most of you don’t know me.
93MarineHorn
Aggie95 said:

93MarineHorn said:

Captain Pablo said:

Look, homelessness is a huge problem...for our veterans and others with mental health and drug issues. I don't pretend to have a good answer for the situation...HOWEVER, anyone pushing "affordable housing" is just a lunatic. There is no such thing in 2024 as affordable housing...even for the middle class, much less those further down the ladder.
One of the bigger issues with affordable housing is there is little to no incentive to keep it well maintained. So, even if you succeed in getting someone into an "affordable" house, by the time it gets to the 2nd or 3rd family, you'll have a complete mess on your hands.
I agree completely that homelessness is a huge problem. But it is greatly exacerbated by lax enforcement and permissive attitudes of city officials. It's as if they are intentionally avoiding the biggest reason the problem exists. They don't want to face the truth. They want useless "feel good" boondoggles to virtue signal to their constituents and also implicitly blame capitalism for it's failure to take care of the downtrodden. Austin's homeless problem skyrocketed after the morons on the city council lifted the camping ban. Every overpass housed a small tent city of lazy, crazy and drug addicted people from all over the country.

Strict enforcement of laws would end 60 - 80% of the homeless problem. They would figure out another way to live than being on the street. Nobody wants to get hassled by cops and they sure as hell don't want to go to jail.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.