*** DUNE: PROPHECY *** (Max Prequel Series)

1,255 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 16 days ago by YouBet
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
"10,000 years before the birth of Paul Atreides, before the universe knew them as the Bene Gesserit..."

No Villeneuve, but the quality still looks pretty damn impressive...

Dune: Prophecy
Season 1
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10466872/
Fall 2024 TBA
Max

wangus12
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm in. And somehow the cinematography looks on par with the movies.

Getting HOTD, without the dragons.
DrEvazanPhD
Is this based off any of the source material?
AgHawkeye
AG
10,000 years in the past …… with identical technology and political systems.

Oh and I will definitely watch.
hunter2012
AG
Looks interesting, I hope they do Mile Teg proud with this one. Please just don't make the heroines stoic and masculine(the overdone strong-woman trope of the last decade). The Bene Gesserit Frank's books are great examples on how to write female characters. Stick to the formula.

If it does pull from any books it's the son's books(Brian Herbert). Frank never wrote any of the prequels.
DrEvazanPhD
hunter2012 said:

Looks interesting, I hope they do Mile Teg proud with this one. Please just don't make the heroines stoic and masculine(the overdone strong-woman trope of the last decade). The Bene Gesserit Frank's books are great examples on how to write female characters. Stick to the formula.

If it does pull from any books it's the son's books(Brian Herbert). Frank never wrote any of the prequels.
I think that was 10,000 years after, not before
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
AgHawkeye said:

Oh and I will definitely watch.

I get this complaint, but in this particular universe I think it's explained by the fact that AI had been outlawed for millennia.
Al Bula
AG
Yikes. Brian Herbert fan fiction.

I'll be sure to bring the excoriating commentary.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Al Bula said:

Yikes. Brian Herbert fan fiction.

I'll be sure to bring the excoriating commentary.
Based on everything I've heard about Messiah and beyond, this is actually a good thing.
hunter2012
AG
DrEvazanPhD said:

hunter2012 said:

I think that was 10,000 years after, not before

Correct I was only saying that because I liked the book character and he was Bene Gesserit. If I recall he's 5000 years after Paul. 3500 years of Leto II + 1500 year Scattering.
Apache
AG
Quote:

It's not out of the realm of possibility
If you ban AI & higher computing, technology will no doubt get to a certain point & then stagnate.
(Honestly at this point if the tech people never made a new Iphone or bigger TV I'd survive )

In terms of political systems, there are only so many ways to govern. Plus it is highly plausible that other systems of governments popped up here & there in the intervening years 10K years between this show & the events of Dune.

YouBet
AG
I just don't get the hate of Brian Herbert's prequels. No, they do not approach the intellectualness of his dad's stuff, but what could?

I read most of them back in the day and thought they were mostly fun sci-fi.

And if this is 10k years in the past then it's probably before the Butlerian Jihad happened.
zap
AG
It's HBO, so that is a good thing. Looks interesting...
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
zap said:

Let us all hope they can finish it as well as they start it, if the start is as good as the movies.
YouBet
AG
zap said:

No, it's MAX because their dumbass CMO thinks there is more equity in the Cinemax name than the HBO name.

LOL.

Sorry, I just think that decision is mind-blowingly stupid and can't help but call it out.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
YouBet said:

I just don't get the hate of Brian Herbert's prequels. No, they do not approach the intellectualness of his dad's stuff, but what could?

And if this is 10k years in the past then it's probably before the Butlerian Jihad happened.

It's either right before it or right after it. The Butlerian Jihad was always claimed "over 10,000 " years ago. Which is what got rid of AI.
YouBet
AG
Atreides Ornithopter said:

YouBet said:

It's either right before it or right after it. The Butlerian Jihad was always claimed "over 10,000 " years ago. Which is what got rid of AI.
Yep. Considering the current rise of AI in real life I can't imagine they won't take advantage of that plot line here.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.