QC Kinetix - revolutionary treatment or witch doctor quackery?

2,230 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by JB!98
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What's the deal with QC Kinetix?

I hear their ads often. They use your body's own healing mechanisms to repair damaged tissue and reduce inflammation (allegedly). They can supposedly help with hair loss.

How, exactly?

If I tear my meniscus playing pickup basketball, I don't need surgery because they can pull some blood out of me and centrifuge it or something and pull out the good stuff and shoot it into my knee?

Like taking Khan's platelets and giving them to James Tiberius Kirk in Star Trek: Into Darkness?

Have any of you used them?
Girlhowdy
AG
I've done PRP injections in my knee through my orthopedic doctor and have had great success with inflammation reduction. I assume these are the procedures the business you mentioned does. I once called them to ask and inquire about pricing etc. There was no human to talk to so I quickly lost interest.
Gig 'Em, Ags
PlanoAg98
AG
Quote:

repair damaged tissue and reduce inflammation (allegedly)
I've had knee PRP injections and it did not work for me. I've also heard the ads and my doctor said the marketing stating it repairs damages tissue is false. This procedure is not FDA approved (yet) so what can and cannot say about the procedure is not regulated by the FDA. He stated that it may help reduce inflammation. My doctor (who is an Aggie) also said that this procedure is a big money grab fad right now for all these popup clinics. Some of them state you have to go through 3 rounds of shots which is false. I would not get them through any type of clinic like the ads you here. Only get them through your orthopedic doctor who will advise if you should or should not. My doctor told me it's worth a shot if I have the $750 to spend as I've been going to him for Cortisone injections for years which just masks the inflammation.
trip98
AG
QC is basically prp injections
You give blood for a while, they spin down, take certain part of it and inject directly into area.
I've heard from several who said it was painful.
Have good Ag buddy that's an Ortho and he swears by them based on patients results and his own for his knee
Also just had my son hurt his knee and saw 2 orthos for it. One that had just come back from Astros camp and he said it works 50/50 but he'd try before steroids (for adults...no roids for youth and it's about pain tolerance for youth).
Also saw Pedi Ortho and he said while it looks promising so far he's seeing 50/50 results

It ain't covered by insurance so all about that cash....hence the marketing hype
AggieMPH2005
There is no evidence that it is better than placebo and the theory behind the mechanism of action is specious.

However there are many positive anecdotes of posters on here. It is a cash business and is thriving here in DFW like no other market I am aware of. Primarily driven by the marketing efforts of a clinic in Southlake.
StockHorseAg
AG
I've had PRP done to some horses of mine with joint issues and it really improved the way they felt. I wouldn't hesitate to have it done if I ever needed it.
aggiederelict
I have seen tons of patients get PRP over the years. It does have some success in patients. I would say about 50/50 in my patient population. Who you see and how they do it is important. Some doc talking a weekend course in Florida suddenly calling themselves an expert I would stay away from. I wouldn't even go to an orthopedist for this. I have a few really docs I send them to here in Austin. And stay away from prolonged cortisone injections in tendons. It is not good for the long term health of your tendons.
Sea Speed
AG
Specious is such a good word.
maroon barchetta
Sea Speed said:

Specious is such a good word.

I think it's a made up word.
AggieMPH2005
It really is. It seems I only get to use it sporadically.
ned911
About a year after my 3rd lower back surgery I started having spasm problems again. I had started doing squats and after 3 back surgeries putting a weighted bar on my shoulders was probably not the smartest thing I've done.

Anyway decided to try QC versus going back to the surgeon. PRP shots and stem cell shot. First round of PRP helped a ton, got feeling back in my right toes after the stem cell shot. Had to go back after about 4 months for 1 more round of PRP. Went hiking with the wife (RIP) who decided to lean on my shoulders during a down hill section. Haven't had any issues since and that was September 2021.

Be nice if the insurance would cover this treatment. I'd do it again if needed.
FTA Class of 1988
Sea Speed
AG
How much does something like this run because my shoulder is killing me
aggie4231
AG
When I got mine in 2022 from my Dr, it was less than $500. Last year when I considered it for my knee, more than $500
TAMUG'04 Marine Fisheries.
JB!98
AG
My son had it done when he had his knee surgery. The Dr recommended it along with the surgery to keep swelling down and encourage healing. It worked as there was very little swelling and he was able to start PT without pain pretty quickly. Cost us $650. Worth it in that circumstance, not sure it would have the same results with old chronic injuries.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.